Shock Height Ratings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I'm not quite sure what length the stock shock is. ORD recommends a 10" shock (16" collapsed, 26" extended) for the rear with a 2" lift.

It depends on your springs. If you have the extra HD rear springs then they won't move much and I suppose a stock shock might fit- but you run the risk of over extending the shock and breaking it.

What are you using for a lift in the rear? A 2" block? Typically a block that small doesn't cause any issues. Larger blocks (4", 6") can cause axle wrap/hop. Basically if your rear tires spin the axle bounces up and down. An easy way to break stuff. The extra leverage from the block can twist the axle a bit then it snaps back.

I was having some issues with my 3" block and old very worn leaf springs. I went with the 2.5" shackle flip and new stock springs. But since my old springs were sagging so bad it raised a lot more than 2.5"

Basically the shackle flip moves the rear of the leaf spring down to provide lift. In the case of the 2.5" shackle flip it moves the rear eye of the springs down 5". The ride will improve even on your stock springs because they are now allowed to flex and move around a bit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Installing means drilling, grinding, or chiseling off 6 rivets per side then bolting up the new bracket. You can re-use the stock shackle but their HD shackles are very nice.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the pic - that gives me a visual to get it a little better. :)

I have springs for the 2" lift - I think they're 52's? Main reason I went with the 2" and not the 3" was I wanted new springs and no blocks. I think these are the EZ Rides instead of HD - but not 100% sure.

Just trying to nail down what shocks to order so I can get these installed. We have so little room here that the truck cant be down for a long period of time.....it would bottle neck the whole driveway.

Thanks again!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
More stupid questions.....

I have been restoring older 4-N cars the last couple decades so I have some bad habits to break (not doing them anymore so there is a start). On the cars, there is a specific front and back application - I take it a shock is a shock on a truck.....just depends on travel, valving, etc?

Sounds like I need a 10" rear shock - 77k20, I think you are spot on for the fronts. If I understand these charts, I think the 33-185552 is what I'm looking for? Thats a 255/70 valving, which also sounds ok (if I understand that part right too).

I dont see a 'front' and 'rear' so that kind of throws me also.

My shocks and springs are all original 1985 and totally a shot. There is zero/nada/zilch rebound in the shock, so am anxious to see what a difference this new setup makes.

Thanks again fellas.....is very appreciated.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Sorry- I've been gone for a week. There isn't a "front" or "rear" shock for these trucks. In fact the shocks I had put on the front of my shock were getting too hot so I moved them to the rear and bought different shocks for the front. In my case both the front are rear shocks are 13.5" of travel.

I did find this page that shows some recommended valving applications:

https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valving-guide

That part number you have up above should work for a 2" lift in the rear.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Posted a really stupid question......but never mind. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Sorry- I've been gone for a week. There isn't a "front" or "rear" shock for these trucks. In fact the shocks I had put on the front of my shock were getting too hot so I moved them to the rear and bought different shocks for the front. In my case both the front are rear shocks are 13.5" of travel.

I did find this page that shows some recommended valving applications:

https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valving-guide

That part number you have up above should work for a 2" lift in the rear.

You are correct until we step up to custom shocks. My Doetsch Mono-Tube rebuildable front and rear are valved differently.
http://www.shocksandsuspension.com/showitems.asp?dc=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK