Sealer on intake manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jt1776

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
I'm installing my intake manifold on my rebuilt 350. Do I need to put gasket seal on the gasket. I hear yes and I hear no. Can someone help me out. Thanks

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I do the copper spray sealant on the side gaskets, and black silicone on the ends. Don't use the blue, black or gray is best the ends. I've used the blue and had oil leaks out the back. Sealed with black and no leaks.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Dry fit the manifold with intake gaskets in place and check your gap at the China wall. Compare that gap to what your rtv says it’ll span. If the gap is too much, you’ll need the China wall gaskets plus rtv.

K5_489

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
489 BBC
My way for years has been to start with a good gasket, such as a Fel-Pro (doesn't have to be Fel-Pro, just avoid the bottom of the barrel parts store generics), and clean/chase the threads of the intake bolt holes to ensure they can be easily run down with fingers. Make sure your block and manifold are clean, and free of any major corrosion (especially with aluminum manifolds..major corrosion/pitting of the manifold can cause problems regardless of what gaskets or sealer you use).

Set the intake down without any gaskets or sealer in place, and finger tighten a couple bolts on either side. Check your distance between the block walls and front/rear of intake manifold. Barring any major milling of the intake/heads/block, this should be less than 1/4".

A thin film of RTV around the water jacket ports on both sides of the gasket, otherwise no sealers on the gaskets themselves. 1/4" bead of RTV on the front and rear walls, and just barely up on to the heads..kind of creating a "shelf support" for the gasket ends to sit on, and keep it aligned with the ports/bolt holes. Let it set up for 15 minutes or so. Set gaskets in place, making sure to have the bolt holes already lined up here (this is where that RTV "shelf" comes in handy)

Carefully set the intake straight down, avoiding as much movement as possible. Loosely seat the bolts down finger tight, and then walk away. Preferably for 24 hours (as this is the cure time of the RTV), but at least 8 hours/over night. This sets full contact across the block walls and the RTV, as well as between the RTV and manifold.

After the waiting period, come back and torque the intake bolts down to spec, in two stages - 20ft-lbs on round one, 30ft-lbs on round two. Fill 'er up with your coolant of choice, purge the air, and go!

Using this method, I've never had any gasket related leaks on a SBC or BBC intake. I've heard of guys using a ***** punch to "golf ball" the block walls and intake manifold, and I understand the thinking, but I've never needed to do it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Me too, except I do use a little sealant around the water passages.

Use Fel-Pro Perma-torque gasket kit. I use a very thin coating of #2 Permatex around the coolant passages and the RTV on the ends as @K5_489 stated. I do torque immediately then wait for the sealants to cure before filling coolant.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl I usually torque them down right away too, but I don't fill the engine with fluids until the next day.

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Use Fel-Pro Perma-torque gasket kit. I use a very thin coating of #2 Permatex around the coolant passages and the RTV on the ends as @K5_489 stated. I do torque immediately then wait for the sealants to cure before filling coolant.
Directions if you read the silicone say to do as 489 says. You have to wait for silicone to set up, then torque. If not your not compressimg it after it set up, your just squishing the silicone out of the gaps.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl I usually torque them down right away too, but I don't fill the engine with fluids until the next day.

In my earlier response I hurriedly wrote it out not noticing that I forgot the "R" in torque. I just noticed it and corrected it prior to quoting it here, but check out what "TOQUE" is...lol...

toque
noun\ ˈtōk
, ˈt(y)ük \
Definition of toque
1 : a woman's small hat without a brim made in any of various soft close-fitting shapes
2 : tuque
3 : a tall brimless hat worn by a chef
— called also toque blanche

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Directions if you read the silicone say to do as 489 says. You have to wait for silicone to set up, then torque. If not your not compressimg it after it set up, your just squishing the silicone out of the gaps.

Good stuff. I learn something each time I come on this site.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
All of this info is great ,BUT if you are working at a dealership or even just a generic shop you usually do not have the luxury of waiting for things to set up. Time is money and back in the day I guess we trusted ourselves and our gaskets more.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All of this info is great ,BUT if you are working at a dealership or even just a generic shop you usually do not have the luxury of waiting for things to set up. Time is money and back in the day I guess we trusted ourselves and our gaskets more.

Exactly.

I've never ever ever had time to sit around and wait for RTV to skin over, let alone wait till the next day to fill with fluids. Leaks and comebacks were never an issue for me. It always worked in the shop, and has always worked for me at home as well. A quality RTV will do it's job even in less than ideal conditions.

I'm sure following the instructions is technically best, but by no means is it absolutely necessary.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Exactly.

I've never ever ever had time to sit around and wait for RTV to skin over, let alone wait till the next day to fill with fluids. Leaks and comebacks were never an issue for me. It always worked in the shop, and has always worked for me at home as well. A quality RTV will do it's job even in less than ideal conditions.

I'm sure following the instructions is technically best, but by no means is it absolutely necessary.
But most of us have these squares as toys. Unless your daily driving yours (you can still plan a repair for a day your don't go anywhere or a weekend) there should be no reason your that pressed for time. It is hard for me to wait on it though. If I can wait I do. And your correct, no shop waits over night or all working day to torque the bolts and then the next day to fill with fluids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1