rusted drum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arnold

Reaction score
First Name
calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350ci
th400 trans forward drum has heavy rust on part of it can it be sanded off or do i need to replace it dont know how to send pictures yet my 4 year old will be here this weekend he knows how

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
th400 trans forward drum has heavy rust on part of it can it be sanded off or do i need to replace it dont know how to send pictures yet my 4 year old will be here this weekend he knows how

If the rust is just on the outside portion of the housing and is superficial, just sand it off. If its inside, will need to see a pic to know if it's something I'd try to fix or not. Worst case, just go grab another forward drum assembly from your local hard parts supply shop or grab one from the junk yard. If you have a stamped steel apply piston and apply ring, look for a drum with a #1 apply ring - will let you install 5 frictions and steels instead of just four (no waved/cushion plate is used in that set up)

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Once you get the rust cleaned off, feel the machined surface where the sealing rings ride. If there are any pits or scratches that you can feel with a fingernail, the drum isn’t worth using.

As nick said, if it’s on the outside of the drum, or not a machined surface, more than likely it’s cosmetic damage and won’t hurt anything.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I guess it happened outside of transmission, as if it was inside and rusted then I guess it shows a bigger issue with moisture and more rust on parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35