Running boards clean up and installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Muriatic acid will dissolve aluminum faster than you realize, just be careful. I use the stuff to remove melted chunks of aluminum piston from iron cylinder walls when rebuilding small two stroke engines...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Muriatic acid will dissolve aluminum faster than you realize, just be careful. I use the stuff to remove melted chunks of aluminum piston from iron cylinder walls when rebuilding small two stroke engines...
Not sure if you read though the thread, kind of sounds like may not so a quick recap on the clean up I did use Muriatic acid and the running boards are done and installed. You can read back for specifically what I did but basically I diluted the acid, left it on for only a few minutes, scrubbed them and rinsed. Worked great. I've used Muriatic acid a fair bit so I was comfortable with using it and not killing the aluminum.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not sure if you read though the thread, kind of sounds like may not so a quick recap on the clean up I did use Muriatic acid and the running boards are done and installed. You can read back for specifically what I did but basically I diluted the acid, left it on for only a few minutes, scrubbed them and rinsed. Worked great. I've used Muriatic acid a fair bit so I was comfortable with using it and not killing the aluminum.
Yeah I posted that before I read the entire thread, then was slowly making my way to the end. Looks like they came out pretty good!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah I posted that before I read the entire thread, then was slowly making my way to the end. Looks like they came out pretty good!
I'm very happy with them, and your warning is good to have. Someone else may read the thread in the future and not realize what could happen.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Looks great! I replied to your PM about the hoop steps. I’ll take them, my wife and daughter will definitely appreciate the extra help climbing in. Even though she isn’t lifted to the moon, it’s still a climb up with the 4” lift and 35’s on it. I need to work on getting some grab handles made too, I’m gonna start keeping my eyes open for some ones I can retrofit from a vehicle at the local pick-n-pull. I’m sure there’s something that I can make work

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Looks great! I replied to your PM about the hoop steps. I’ll take them, my wife and daughter will definitely appreciate the extra help climbing in. Even though she isn’t lifted to the moon, it’s still a climb up with the 4” lift and 35’s on it. I need to work on getting some grab handles made too, I’m gonna start keeping my eyes open for some ones I can retrofit from a vehicle at the local pick-n-pull. I’m sure there’s something that I can make work
I'll get them out to you in the next few days.

As for grab handle IDK if you have seen this thread but this thread: https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/a-pillar-grab-handles.28081/
Is a build thread for grab handles done by @SquareRoot Later on in that same thread I build a simplified version of his basically the main difference is how I attached mine to the A-Pillar and I ended mine before the roof as I did not have a way to bend the pipe. Anyhow not sure if you'd wanna make something or not.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Awesome, thanks!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'll get them out to you in the next few days.

As for grab handle IDK if you have seen this thread but this thread: https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/a-pillar-grab-handles.28081/
Is a build thread for grab handles done by @SquareRoot Later on in that same thread I build a simplified version of his basically the main difference is how I attached mine to the A-Pillar and I ended mine before the roof as I did not have a way to bend the pipe. Anyhow not sure if you'd wanna make something or not.
I can put them on at the same time I add the leaf back into the front springs and hopefully finally drop this bad boy in. Finally had some time to work on it the last few days and now I only have to get the wiring harness ran on it and the transmission rebuilt.

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Bextreme04 Well that's quite a bit more motor than I have lol, bet it would pull my trailer well! Looks great, love to see it in the truck.

Well today was the first day I've driven the truck with the running boards on and yea, they are really nice to have for me. My only complaint is the way they attach to the back of the cab allow them to flex quite a bit if a guy steps on the rear portion of the board. There is no reason a guy would do that getting in and out of the truck, but if I wanna step on that part to get something out of the bed, frankly I'm afraid I might bend it. So I may add a brace there. Other than that I'm loving them, so easy to hop in and out especially at the farm where I have to go though a couple gates to get parked.

Also as a side note, I added a idle kicker back on to the carb. It was not on there when I bought the truck and A/C vent temps suffered at idle because it wanted to idle at like 450RPM. Well I stuck a new kicker on when this heat wave was in the forecast and it's really helped get the A/C cold when I'm leaving work in the city and keeping it that why if I have to sit in traffic.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well I've been having a little trouble with the running boards. The back part of the running board closest to the bed is great to step up on to make it easier to reach deep into my tool box. However that part of the running board is connected to the back of the cab in such a way that flexes quite a bit. I figured it wouldn't be a problem until Thursday when I noticed that I'd bent the passenger side down an inch or so. Honestly it would probably be fine for 150lb guy but my 250+ moving around is a little much apparently. So this morning I added some bracing.

Below: The L part of the bracket is the original. The part attached to the truck is bent 90 degrees towards the front of the truck and butt bolted to running board bracket. That's the problem, where it turns and goes forward makes a week spot. For now I removed the aluminum trim pieces on the end, cut and bolted these pieces of metal I had in my scrap bin on. I bolted it to all pre-existing holes so if I decided to do something different in the future I can.

There is an aluminum trim trim piece I had to remove for the brace to go in. The brace does make it very strong so it is definitely doing it's job. I'll leave it like this for few weeks and see if it creates any trouble and if the looks bother me. If I decide to keep it I will probably weld the brace to the running board, so I can remove the bolt and put the trim over it. I actually think it would look just fine like that.

Below: To me, from the front angle it almost looks like it was meant to be there.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Well I've been having a little trouble with the running boards. The back part of the running board closest to the bed is great to step up on to make it easier to reach deep into my tool box. However that part of the running board is connected to the back of the cab in such a way that flexes quite a bit. I figured it wouldn't be a problem until Thursday when I noticed that I'd bent the passenger side down an inch or so. Honestly it would probably be fine for 150lb guy but my 250+ moving around is a little much apparently. So this morning I added some bracing.

Below: The L part of the bracket is the original. The part attached to the truck is bent 90 degrees towards the front of the truck and butt bolted to running board bracket. That's the problem, where it turns and goes forward makes a week spot. For now I removed the aluminum trim pieces on the end, cut and bolted these pieces of metal I had in my scrap bin on. I bolted it to all pre-existing holes so if I decided to do something different in the future I can.

There is an aluminum trim trim piece I had to remove for the brace to go in. The brace does make it very strong so it is definitely doing it's job. I'll leave it like this for few weeks and see if it creates any trouble and if the looks bother me. If I decide to keep it I will probably weld the brace to the running board, so I can remove the bolt and put the trim over it. I actually think it would look just fine like that.

Below: To me, from the front angle it almost looks like it was meant to be there.

That looks pretty good. I bet that's a lot stronger.
I'm 230-240, and hoped on it pretty good once, and it seemed fine. I never noticed that before, but then again I really didnt use it much. Sorry bout that.

Bracket looks solid though.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Maybe if you made it kinda this shape, out of some flat stock, it might look the part like a factory peice and be even stronger.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That looks pretty good. I bet that's a lot stronger.
I'm 230-240, and hoped on it pretty good once, and it seemed fine. I never noticed that before, but then again I really didnt use it much. Sorry bout that.

Bracket looks solid though.
It is rock solid up front and in the middle where the under bar is where you'd step to get in the truck. It was only at the very back that it was an issue. And for whatever reason the passenger side more flexible under foot and is the side I bent a little. Was no big deal to take the bend out with floor jack BTW.
Maybe if you made it kinda this shape, out of some flat stock, it might look the part like a factory peice and be even stronger.
I agree. But I don't have anything on hand to do that with and I might end up doing that if I'm unhappy with the looks of the little braces I just made.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did this on the driver side this morning. I didn't weld the bracket on I just put the trim piece over the hole thing to see how it would look. For now at least I think this will work.

Attachments

• 20220807_094232.jpg
    20220807_094232.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 37

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Hey @SirRobyn0 i found one of those front pieces at work in great shape but forgot to gat a pic, i will tomorrow

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey