Running boards clean up and installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Changed the title from Running boards thoughts for clean up and possible painting, to Running boards clean up and installation, as I plan to post about me cleaning them up, installing them and finished results.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Today. Tried Lacquer thinner, and rubbing compound. Lacquer thinner will take it off but it's a lot of work, maybe combined with fine steel wool, probably not the method I'll use. Next tried rubbing compound. Pretty much would work but would be very slow too. These were each 5 minute attempts that did not result in much action. I'm hoping to try muriatic acid tonight, or navel jelly. Navel jelly specifically says not to use it on aluminum, it's phosphoric acid. I have some on hand but it's been years since I've used the product. Probably would try on the back of one of the boards first. Not sure how my time will hold out. It's about 90F outside right now so I've been shoving my chores off latter and latter when it's cooler. Guess we will see.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'd like to suggest Bon Ami and elbow grease.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Getcha one of them fluffy paint finisher balls to chuck in a drill and :grd: it's not hard but you might have to spend a couple bucks?
Prolly another Turtle Wax product...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Getcha one of them fluffy paint finisher balls to chuck in a drill and :grd: it's not hard but you might have to spend a couple bucks?
Prolly another Turtle Wax product...
I'd be down with that. I don't mind a couple bucks spent to save elbow grease. I've got a bunch of polishing disks meant for buffing plastic headlight lens. Might try that. If I don't use it for actual rust removal it would be great for polishing them up after most of the rust is gone.

No time tonight. It's near 10pm and I just got done with the farm stuff. Will sit for an hour before going to bed.

The compound might be an acceptable removal product if I use a disk on a drill, and then I would not have concerns of getting acid on the ground and some idiot chicken drinking it.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Here's what i'm thinking about, meant for polishing wheels?
10 bucks on ebay... :shrug:

Burnishing . Sponge .
You must be registered for see images attach

Look! Chuck it in a drill and go.to.town!

Yeah baby!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
@SirRobyn0
That's how they were bolted to the back of the cab. That one bracket ran up the back, then it was just bolted threw the sheet metal in the back of the cab.

You can see where all that orange color came from, haha.

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
alumaBrite they sell it at all the truck stops around here the truckers use it on those big aluminum fuel tanks may take several applications as it tends to streek good luck

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok guys, it looks like it'll be a diluted mixture of muriatic acid for the win. I'm hoping to do it at the shop so I don't have to worry about it on the ground at the farm. I did this little section this morning with it and it does just what I hoped for. Paint it on with a paint brush rinse it off a few minutes later, rust stains gone. Probably need a quick polish afterwards, but this method looks to be the super easy method I was looking for.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Ok guys, it looks like it'll be a diluted mixture of muriatic acid for the win. I'm hoping to do it at the shop so I don't have to worry about it on the ground at the shop. I did this little section this morning with it and it does just what I hoped for. Paint it on with a paint brush rinse it off a few minutes later, rust stains gone. Probably need a quick polish afterwards, but this method looks to be the super easy method I was looking for.

Hey, that looks good. Nice job

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Did the clean up on the main board part. Simple. Cut muriatic acid 50% with water, painted it on the boards, went did something for about 5 minutes came back coated them again, lightly scrubbed them and rinsed them off. I've probably got about 10 - 15 minutes into that. @Rusty Nail Hey Sonny (just remember when I call you Sonny you brought that on, but not to worry there is a very famous mob leader named Sonny so it's cool) Anyhow, Sonny, so this thread doesn't suck, here are some pictures.

Before on the Left and on the Right.

And a wider image of both after clean up:

So obviously there is oxidation so I'll more than likely hit that with polish before installation. I still need to do the end pieces.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Did the clean up on the main board part. Simple. Cut muriatic acid 50% with water, painted it on the boards, went did something for about 5 minutes came back coated them again, lightly scrubbed them and rinsed them off. I've probably got about 10 - 15 minutes into that. @Rusty Nail Hey Sonny (just remember when I call you Sonny you brought that on, but not to worry there is a very famous mob leader named Sonny so it's cool) Anyhow, Sonny, so this thread doesn't suck, here are some pictures.

Before on the Left and on the Right.

And a wider image of both after clean up:

So obviously there is oxidation so I'll more than likely hit that with polish before installation. I still need to do the end pieces.
looks like a set I have (Hi robyn)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
looks like a set I have (Hi robyn)
Hey I was just talking about you in a radiator thread with Bextreme04, Eric. I'd noticed you had been here in nearly 2 months and got concerned. I've enjoyed reading your stories about your place. Well I do hope you have been doing well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod