Running boards clean up and installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Got the farm chores done this morning and figured I had a few minutes to play around with the running boards. Here's how it went. I started by laying the parts out.

You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't take a picture, but I took the black metal brackets and hit them with the wire wheel, and then a couple coats of rust converter.

Below picture, I measured and drilled the bolt holes for the rockers first, in this picture it's just hanging from that.

Then I did the center support bar, the rear support, and last the front panel. Honestly the installation was easy and went quick and easy. I think I have 45 minutes into it. I still need to do the passenger side.

Below picture, same angle as above, but fully installed with the bed lowered.

Below picture, front angle, supervisor in the picture on the right side.

I think that they look GREAT on the truck. I think it fits the image of an old school work truck that is taken care of and in good shape. I'm glad I cleaned them up and didn't paint them black. I actually really like the aluminum color. Even better it makes it so easy from me to get in now. @AyWoSch Motors Ayden, Thank you so much for shipping these to me!
Wow, great job! They look awesome! They look way better than they did on mine.
That's pretty fast putting them on. I think it took me that long to take them off with the rusty bolts.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Wow, great job! They look awesome! They look way better than they did on mine.
That's pretty fast putting them on. I think it took me that long to take them off with the rusty bolts.
Well I did have any rusty bolts to deal with. And I can cheat and lift the bed to drill for the rear support. IDK how a guy could drill those holes without great difficulty and a lot of pain without being able to lift the bed.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Well I did have any rusty bolts to deal with. And I can cheat and lift the bed to drill for the rear support. IDK how a guy could drill those holes without great difficulty and a lot of pain without being able to lift the bed.
I was wondering about how youd do the rear ones, but then remembered your bed lift. Thats convenient.
Mine were done probably done after the flat bed was put on, because they were easy to reach with the bed on, plenty of space behind.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ok here are the fender pieces. Below, after acid bath.

And Below after polishing:

These pieces are by far the roughest part of the running boards, probably from years and years of being hit with rocks. The one on the right with the chunk out of the corner also has some damage at the bolt hole. For now I'm going to run a large washer over that. Long term I'll replace those fender pieces entirely. I'll either get some plain sheets of aluminum or diamond plate aluminum to replace them down the road, but they are fine for now.

@Soundmound I'll be rockin' these on my C20, keep in mind the C20 sits quite a bit higher than a C10 would, but of course I think my C20 is lower than a K truck. 4 years I've been looking for an affordable set of running boards that are complete, as in all the pieces are there. You wouldn't believe how many times I've looked at used boards just to find out all the bracketry is gone. So I'm super happy with these so far. I think the boards themselves are pretty good shape after being cleaned up. It's just the fender pieces that are probably not going to look the best, but we will see after installation, maybe they will be just fine.

I honestly have no time to install them this weekend, but thinking of making the time I really wanna see them on and start using them ASAP!
I think i have a pair of those in diamond plate.... ill look in my parts n see...

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Man, those look really good. Between the lift and 35's on mine, I really need to find some kind of steps. I can still throw myself up and in, but its a hug chore for my wife and daughter to try and climb in.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think i have a pair of those in diamond plate.... ill look in my parts n see...
Thanks if you happen to have a set let me know I would be interested, but I'm not pushing it. One of the last photos I posted, this one:

That's the roughest of the two fender pieces and I did nothing with the edge that's gone. On the truck it's so out of sight that esthetically it's a non-issue. The cracks around the one bolt hole are a concern long term. I've got a large washer on it for now, but down the road I will need to replace that piece.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Man, those look really good. Between the lift and 35's on mine, I really need to find some kind of steps. I can still throw myself up and in, but its a hug chore for my wife and daughter to try and climb in.
Thanks I think they look good too.

If you want a standard set of hoop steps. I'll send you mine for the cost of postage. I never liked them as I could not pivot my foot in the step, as I have large feet and I'm fat. But lots of guys do like them.

This pic below was really of the dog but shows the hoop step, which I'm obviously taking off, with the running board installation. IDK, if your not interested that's fine, but if you are let me know. I have no use for them now.

Notice the black grab bar on the A pillar. I've got one on each side that really helps getting in as well. I'd image a lifted truck would really benefit from a set of those.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks great!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Hey @SirRobyn0 heres how my running boards are attatched. Idk who put them on but.... Just thought id show you what i have. Old pics but show the boards good.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Grit dog Thanks, I was thinkin' after I get the other one installed and pictures taken I was going to tag you to see what you thought. I'm thinking I might do some over time photos just for fun one of these days.

@78C10BigTen Those look just like mine on the outside, but my underbelly attachment is completely different, and I should take pictures of that but haven't. At the back of the cab there is a brace bar that runs up the back of the cab and bolts in two places. Mid-board is a shaped bar that runs not to the frame, but to one of the channels braces for the floor and then the front plate of course. I can't help but notice the mid-90's GC in your third pic. as I own one of those too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
@Grit dog Thanks, I was thinkin' after I get the other one installed and pictures taken I was going to tag you to see what you thought. I'm thinking I might do some over time photos just for fun one of these days.

@78C10BigTen Those look just like mine on the outside, but my underbelly attachment is completely different, and I should take pictures of that but haven't. At the back of the cab there is a brace bar that runs up the back of the cab and bolts in two places. Mid-board is a shaped bar that runs not to the frame, but to one of the channels braces for the floor and then the front plate of course. I can't help but notice the mid-90's GC in your third pic. as I own one of those too.
That was my sisters.... long gone now lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok got the passenger side done today. Passenger side took about an hour and half, vs drivers side which was only about 45 minutes. IDK why the passenger side fought me from the first bolt. If you look close enough in the pictures the passenger side has a little dent in the edge mid way. I think that even though they look great, and function great that possibly it's twisted a tiny bit. This would explain the install troubles. But it's done and worth every moment. Well truly they are almost done, I miss counted the number of nuts when I was grabbing them from the shop on Thursday so I was a couple nuts shy. The old hardware is so rusty I didn't want to reuse that stuff. So on Monday I'll grab the nuts and spin them on real quick.

Pictures: Passenger side

Below: Close up of the passenger side running board. In the close up you can see the dent I'm talking about better. I think I'll run the truck up on the lift at the shop and see if I can bent that out, may be able to do it with a big crest wrench. Even if I can't it's not really noticeable when your standing up looking at the truck, so I'm fine with it as is if it doesn't wanna come out.

And because I didn't do a close up of the driver side yesterday I took this one today, Below:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Just for fun. This is what the truck looked like the day I brought it home. So much in that picture has changed besides the truck. That dirt spot it's parked in is now the parking area for the farm. And man does the truck look different! I don't realize how much I've done to her sometimes until I start looking at old pics.

Below what she looks like today:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC