Rough Idle, dies on occasion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This will be on the firewall on the drivers side near the brake booster
You must be registered for see images attach

This will be positioned behind the brake pedal

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This may not be the exact way yours is wired but it gives you an idea of whats going on.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im also trying to clean the cob webs out of the ol noggin

R. Buckley

Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 silverado
Engine Size
I'll google some pictures and see what I can find. And double check all vacuum hoses.
By stay out of overdrive do you mean drive with the gear selector in the next lowest setting? Or do you mean stay under speeds that the torque converter would normally lock up?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You can drive it as usual. Just put the gear selector in D and go. Your transmission will shift up & down through the gears as normal.

The only difference now (with the TCC disabled) is that you will not get that "overdrive" function when you get up to highway/cruising speed.

So, the biggest factor (and depending on your normal driving routine, you may not even notice it) will be a decrease in fuel economy.

Last edited:

R. Buckley

Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for those pictures, I'll do some investigating and see what I can drum up. Thanks for the great info guy

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Stay out of 4th gear as you will create excessive heat in 4th(OD) gear with out the lock up. The rest of the gears 1-3 will be just fine. Like Jerry says just put it in D and go.

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
R. Buckley, you ever get your truck figured out? I actually have a similar problem with mine but didn't know whether i should make a new thread or not.

R. Buckley

Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 silverado
Engine Size
The disconnecting the TCC seemed to help a little bit. But not fully. I cleaned up the carb and changed out my fuel filter and that helped a bit too. My next step is going to be replacing the plugs with ac delco plugs and cleaning the terminals on the distributer. I should probably verify my timing too but I've never done that so I'll have to learn how.

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
verifying timing is pretty simple. plug the vacuum advance and the port on the carburetor then set your initial timing with the vehicle at idle, usually around 750rpm or so. to check overall timing rev it to 3500rpm or higher depending on how high you can rev and read your timing. a timing tape makes this a lot easier than the stock timing tabs and are cheap.

R. Buckley

Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 silverado
Engine Size
After a few weeks of off again-on again running well i finally got a chance to work on the rig, got some new plugs (AC Delco r45ts, these were recommended for the GM Goodwrench crate engine that's currently in the truck), the plugs that came out were r44t's (not sure if there is a huge difference between these two parts or not). anyways, got the new plugs in and started it up only to discover that one of my plug wires was shorting out to the exhaust manifold. :emotions122: needless to say i felt pretty dumb, got that fixed and rerouted all the plug wires on the passenger side in order to prevent that happening again in the future. reconnected my TCC connector and took it for a drive and it seemed to be running like its old self.

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
After a few weeks of off again-on again running well i finally got a chance to work on the rig, got some new plugs (AC Delco r45ts, these were recommended for the GM Goodwrench crate engine that's currently in the truck), the plugs that came out were r44t's (not sure if there is a huge difference between these two parts or not). anyways, got the new plugs in and started it up only to discover that one of my plug wires was shorting out to the exhaust manifold. :emotions122: needless to say i felt pretty dumb, got that fixed and rerouted all the plug wires on the passenger side in order to prevent that happening again in the future. reconnected my TCC connector and took it for a drive and it seemed to be running like its old self.

glad you got her going again… i'm still messing with mine but hopefully she'll be her old self again soon...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000