1987 TBI Rough Idle Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I don't have a tach. (I kinda enjoyed not knowing.:) Liberating of sorts.) But I guess I should probably install one.
I don't have any misfires (new plugs, no codes) and the plug wires are very fresh (less than a few months old).
I've not tested the MAP sensor. I'll have to read up on how to do that.
I've been considering trying to figure out how to get a fuel pressure reading. (A friend tells me I need to lock that down first.) IDK how other guys are doing it, but those tightly-bent hardlines into the back of the TBI up against that vacuum tree and other obstacles don't allow for much in the way of a FP gauge/adapter.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I don't have a tach. (I kinda enjoyed not knowing.:) Liberating of sorts.) But I guess I should probably install one.
I don't have any misfires (new plugs, no codes) and the plug wires are very fresh (less than a few months old).
I've not tested the MAP sensor. I'll have to read up on how to do that.
I've been considering trying to figure out how to get a fuel pressure reading. (A friend tells me I need to lock that down first.) IDK how other guys are doing it, but those tightly-bent hardlines into the back of the TBI up against that vacuum tree and other obstacles don't allow for much in the way of a FP gauge/adapter.

if you get ALDL Droid app and a Bluetooth cable for the ALDL, you don't need to install a tach. although the data stream is pretty slow, it will usually show the jumpy tach. it's basically a scan tool that let's you see what the computer sees at the sensors, fuel trims, etc.

I'd make sure you don't have plug wires touching any ECM or ICM wires. they definitely mess with the computer, mostly at idle and low rpm

I'd also check to make sure the ICM harness (black/red wire) is grounded back through the ECM. pop off the connector and put one end of meter on the black/red and one end of the meter on the block.

I have an adapter in front of the fuel filter to check fuel pressure on my burb. the flex line there flexes enough to allow it and I just capped it and left it in place. pretty sure it is accutron.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm confused. "1987 TBI with an older Edelbrock Pro Flo FI kit on it"? It's one or the other.