Rotten Egg Smell From Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for that info and for the paperwork. According to that page, I have noticed that my truck idles high when it gets hot. Not too high but def higher than it should. I've searched high and low for a vac leak. Maybe I just don't know how to check. The fuel injectors seem to spray just fine. I just inspected them last weekend. I wish you guys were my neighbors. LOL Come over and check out my truck.

LOL, I am 2 miles from I-5, its the 300 mile trek down 5 thats the problem!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm not advocating this - just saying it can be done (discreetly):

CATALYST REMOVAL
Monolith type converters are not serviceable. The following procedure applies only to pellet type catalytic converters.

1.Raise and support vehicle.
2.Install aspirator, Fig. 33, and connect an air line to aspirator, creating a vacuum in the converter, thereby holding pellets in place when fill plug is removed.
3.If converter is equipped with threaded fill plug, use a 3/4 inch Allen wrench and remove fill plug from converter.
4.If converter is equipped with pressed fill plug, lightly drive a small chisel between converter shell and fill plug until fill plug distorts. Remove fill plug with pliers. Do not pry fill plug from converter, since damage to fill plug sealing surface may result.
5.Install vibrator and catalyst container, then adapter J-25077, if equipped with pressed fill plug, Fig. 34.
6.Disconnect air line from aspirator and connect to vibrator. Catalyst will now drain from converter.
7.When all catalyst has been drained from converter, remove container and discard the used catalyst.

There is also a procedure to install new pellets - if anyone wants it let me know.

I think a shop-vac would work just as well as tool no. J-25077-2:

Attachments

• 41925371.jpg
    41925371.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels