Riddler differential cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I just bought one for the 14 bolt rear axle- looks really nice. I'm in the process of painting it (it is bare cast iron and will rust otherwise). Pics to come...

The bolt holes in the cover are all recessed so the bolts do not get damaged by rocks. BUT- what to do about the stock brackets for the brake lines? They are meant to bolt on to a flat surface.

Remove the brackets? Try and grind them down so they fit into the recessed area? That will make them weak as not much material will be left behind.

Generic pic so you can get an idea of how recessed the holes are:
You must be registered for see images

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You could lightly grind them (round them off) then mount them with longer bolts and a spacer tube under each one.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cast iron cover? How heavy is it? Looks beefy...

Buckets idea sounds cool. I don't know what the brackets look like, so I can't really offer up a suggestion.

edit: Just gaboobled 'em... Looks like a good product. I would be tempted to grind off the logo they cast in it to further clean up the look. We will require before and after pics!

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Still haven't decided how to mount the brackets yet. Had to drive the truck today and it snowed today and made for a sloppy mess. Hate getting dripped on while working on something.
And the paint isn't quite dry yet. Hopefully it will since the wife isn't impressed with it being on the bathroom counter with the heatlamp and fan on. (too cold to have the paint dry outside)

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Cast iron cover? How heavy is it? Looks beefy...

Buckets idea sounds cool. I don't know what the brackets look like, so I can't really offer up a suggestion.

edit: Just gaboobled 'em... Looks like a good product. I would be tempted to grind off the logo they cast in it to further clean up the look. We will require before and after pics!

It is pretty heavy. Imagine picking up a 13" cast iron skillet but this is probably twice as thick. If I was putting it on my Silverado I'd probably smooth it out and do a nicer job.

There were some tests I have read about on this cover also. They were able to drive over it with a 75,000 backhoe with tracks on it and some Jeep magazine took covers out and shot them. Cast iron can be brittle, but it survived being shot with a .22, .45 ACP, .357 magnum, and a .454 Casull. The .460 S&W punched a hole thru it.

Last edited:

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
some Jeep magazine took covers out and shot them. Cast iron can be brittle, but it survived being shot with a .22, .45 ACP, .357 magnum, and a .454 Casull. The .460 S&W punched a hole thru it.

That sounds like a worthless test unless your needing a getaway vehicle and your worried about getting shot at and losing your gear lube.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That sounds like a worthless test unless your needing a getaway vehicle and your worried about getting shot at and losing your gear lube.

I thought it was interesting. Not expecting to ever shoot it, but to see what a fast sharp impact will do to it. The metal needs to be hard to prevent denting. But too hard it will just crack or shatter.

I can see how their test had some relevance to it. Be sort of like hitting a rock that rolled out onto the road at speed. Sudden fast sharp impact.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Yeah, I can see it from that perspective. Pretty cool cover. I can't imagine making a 14B any heavier though. My whole axle must weigh a ton with the heavy duty drums.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Installed the cover today. One of the brackets was just supporting the brake line, and I felt it wasn't needed and removed it. Eventually I want to put disc brakes on the rear so will need to redo the lines anyway. The other bracket was thicker as it holds the T (splitter) for both sides. I used a dremel to grind the end round, then cut a notch in it. Still strong for what it needs to do. Bought a longer bolt for that one.

picture.php

picture.php

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Before pic:

picture.php

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
picture.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Installed the cover today. One of the brackets was just supporting the brake line, and I felt it wasn't needed and removed it. Eventually I want to put disc brakes on the rear so will need to redo the lines anyway. The other bracket was thicker as it holds the T (splitter) for both sides. I used a dremel to grind the end round, then cut a notch in it. Still strong for what it needs to do. Bought a longer bolt for that one.

picture.php

picture.php

Looks like you got it figured out with the brake line bracket. Turned out really nice. Now find some rocks and test it out. :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I can see it from that perspective. Pretty cool cover. I can't imagine making a 14B any heavier though. My whole axle must weigh a ton with the heavy duty drums.

Around 550 lbs I believe.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Around 550 lbs I believe.

That is what I have heard. And you can save over 50 lbs by doing a disk brake conversion.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice diff cover.. you just solved my oil fill delema for my 14 bolt.. buy a cover with a oil fill in it..
That is what I have heard. And you can save over 50 lbs by doing a disk brake conversion.

If i was worried about 50 lbs i would leave my second dog or the spare chain saw at home.. Or lose 30 more lbs.. like i should anyhow.. :Stupid Me:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay