Differential skid plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hello!
Recently I've found myself on some precarious roads that have made me want to get skid plates for my front and rear diffs.
I have a 76 K10 Scottsdale, the front axel is what I believe to be a dana44 and the rear is a 12 bolt. As far as I know both are original to the truck.
My first question (and it may be a stupid question) will any Dana44 skid plate work for my diff? I see most of them are sold for Jeeps and I'm having a hard time finding one marketed for my truck.
My second question, does my rear axel have a name I can search for? So far I've found replacement covers for a GM 12 bolt diff but not much in the way of skid plates.
I appreciate any advice and product recommendations!

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I would like skid plates in this style if possible
You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello!
Recently I've found myself on some precarious roads that have made me want to get skid plates for my front and rear diffs.
I have a 76 K10 Scottsdale, the front axel is what I believe to be a dana44 and the rear is a 12 bolt. As far as I know both are original to the truck.
My first question (and it may be a stupid question) will any Dana44 skid plate work for my diff? I see most of them are sold for Jeeps and I'm having a hard time finding one marketed for my truck.
My second question, does my rear axel have a name I can search for? So far I've found replacement covers for a GM 12 bolt diff but not much in the way of skid plates.
I appreciate any advice and product recommendations!
@mtbadbob Got another one for ya. This ones twice as bad!

Attachments

• Its AXLE_not axel!.PNG
    Its AXLE_not axel!.PNG
    496.4 KB · Views: 31

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There used to be aftermarket skid plates available that attached to the underside of the diff. They are difficult to find now and are vintage, so $$$ probably.

A heavy duty diff cover for a D44 will work, as long as it clears the tie rod.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Your attachment no worky
Not sure why that didn't work but here it is again! I'm looking for a skid plate that covers the whole bottom of the diff. A lot of what I've seen is more of a cover for the front

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
That looks like a Jeep accessory, I haven't seen a diff skid of any kind for our trucks since the late 80's stuff that @bucket mentioned.
Got it. Thank you! I'm going to see if a local fabricator can make me something since it seems like I won't be able to find them online

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Got it. Thank you! I'm going to see if a local fabricator can make me something since it seems like I won't be able to find them online
People don't make them because you just don't need them. I can't image how fast you would need to be going to cause any damage to a 12 bolt truck rear pumpkin. If you are on anything crazy enough to worry about that, you should be turning some big tires and be thinking about upgrading to a 14BFF(which also doesn't have any available skid plates I can find). You CAN get dana 44 front skid plates, but again... it's jeep stuff, so mostly just for looks. You are far more likely to cause damage to steering linkages, covers, and shock mounts long before you need to worry about cracking or breaking the pumpkin.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
People don't make them because you just don't need them. I can't image how fast you would need to be going to cause any damage to a 12 bolt truck rear pumpkin. If you are on anything crazy enough to worry about that, you should be turning some big tires and be thinking about upgrading to a 14BFF(which also doesn't have any available skid plates I can find). You CAN get dana 44 front skid plates, but again... it's jeep stuff, so mostly just for looks. You are far more likely to cause damage to steering linkages, covers, and shock mounts long before you need to worry about cracking or breaking the pumpkin.
That's good to know! I'm definitely not doing any crazy off-road driving. I was just worried about the diffs because they hang so low

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's good to know! I'm definitely not doing any crazy off-road driving. I was just worried about the diffs because they hang so low
Unless you are doing something way crazier than this... it's not what you should be concerned about. The best way to get clearance for the axles is with a lift and bigger tires. The biggest worry is actually hitting the pinion or driveshaft, not the pumpkin. You'll notice none of these guys have an axle slider... but they all have at least 1 ton axles and big tires.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now if you're talking about diff "COVERS" that's a different issue. Factory is usually stamped steel. Smack a rock or stump on one of those and it will push the cover into the ring gear and ruin your day. There are plenty of aftermarket HD COVERs available in steel and aluminum. ARB, Poison Spider, etc. The world is your oyster.

Attachments

• Oyster.PNG
    Oyster.PNG
    245.1 KB · Views: 28

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Differential skid plates are one of those items that, IMO, are more for show than go. They are more suited for those rock bouncing buggies. For our DD weekend wheeler thing, a diff skid plate would be more of item to help slide over an object if you were to get hung up on. But then you would loose 1/2" to 3/4" of clearance with one. Sort of a catch 22 thing.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On my K5 I added a Con-Fer truss/ skid plate to the D44 after I broke the D60 getting some air too often. The rear 14BFF, I cut the excess below the rear cover and welded up a skid plate from the pinion back so it would slide over rocks and not get hung up or tear the cover off. I've seen a lot of guys tear their cover and lose fluid. There was a few companies that had bolt-on pinion plates to protect the shaft/ joints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef