Axel Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davenport

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I have a 1978 GMC K15.

I don't know much about the Dana 60 but i have seen it rebuilt online and i know they are stronger and that a lot of people use them.

First Question: If i use a Dana 60 in the front what axel would be best for the rear? Would i need to use another Dana 60 or something else?

Second Question: Would anything need to be modified to install a lift kit using these axels or would a standard lift kit for my year model bolt right up?

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Welcome to the site.

I have an '86 M1008 military truck with the Dana 60, and it's mated to a 14-bolt full-float rear axle. That rear axle won't bolt into your truck, as your spring perches and shock mounts will be different. There is a lighter-duty semi-float 14-bolt, too, so do some homework if that's the route you go. Realistically, any HD rear axle you decide on will need some welding work for spring perches and shock mounts.

The Dana 60 front should bolt in, but you'll need new U-bolts and probably U-bolt/spring plates. I believe the 1-ton steering drag link and sway bar may be different, too.

A lift shouldn't care which axles you have. It'll just sit a bit higher with 1-ton axles, as the axle tube diameter is bigger.

Craig

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a 1978 GMC K15.

I don't know much about the Dana 60 but i have seen it rebuilt online and i know they are stronger and that a lot of people use them.

First Question: If i use a Dana 60 in the front what axel would be best for the rear? Would i need to use another Dana 60 or something else?

Second Question: Would anything need to be modified to install a lift kit using these axels or would a standard lift kit for my year model bolt right up?
for your half ton gmc, why do you think you need a dana 60?Your dana 44 is probably doing fine

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a 1978 GMC K15.

dana 60 rear axles, to my understandings werrent very often found in gms but they were found in fords. 5 bolt and 8 bolt. you have a 6 lug so you may find it wise to stick to stock axles. Do you have a 12 bolt rear?
You must be registered for see images attach

nto the best photo,, yours like that?

nto the best front axle shot either but you probably have a 12 bolt rear and a dana 44 front.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
for your half ton gmc, why do you think you need a dana 60?Your dana 44 is probably doing fine
^^^ this

Wontons are cool and all but it’s a lot of work and money if not needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507