Replacement Grille (85-88)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Anybody find a reproduction grille for the single headlight version from 85-88?

I'm talking about this one:
You must be registered for see images attach

I checked LMC truck and they don't make it, well not this one exactly, they make one without the bowtie emblem:

I can't find one that has the provision for the bowtie, just blank ones in this style. I did find one that is the other style with the horizontal trim strips that usually match the body color and were found on the higher trim quad headlights. It has mounting areas for the bowtie and trim strips, and also has chrome vertical trim pieces:

I was thinking of buying the base one without emblem and trying to modify it to accept the bowtie. Has anybody done this before? Or is it impossible.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I checked the 6 catalogs I have and no one has the first grill that has accomodated the bowtie. I just bought the second grill you pictured for my Silverado. I also purchased a new bowtie which includes the spacers that fit over the two raised areas on either side of the center square. The problem I ran into is no one carries the center trim for the 85-88 grille. I was able to go to Pick N' Pull and buy a complete grill from a similar year van for $8 which had the trim parts I needed.

If don't want the Silverado style grill and you still have your original grill you should be able to cut the bowtie area out and modify it to fit over the new grill. Just use the correct type of plastic glue.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks for the info, that's what I thought. I'll see if I can glue my old bowtie on a new grille.
Just curious, what are the 6 catalogs for squarebody trucks? I can think of 3:
LMC truck
Classic Industries
Stylin' Trucks

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Thanks for the info, that's what I thought. I'll see if I can glue my old bowtie on a new grille.
Just curious, what are the 6 catalogs for squarebody trucks? I can think of 3:
LMC truck
Classic Industries
Stylin' Trucks

Here's the others I looked at:

Classic Parts
TruckandCarShop.com
Brothers Trucks
USA1 Industries

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Try Tuckers Classic Auto Parts in Las Vegas. They have what you need .

1-800-544-1955

They carry a great variety of 1973-1987 c10 truck parts and have better prices than most.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is your grille faded and ugly, or is it cracked up? Reason I ask is because I restored the grille on my Jimmy mainly to avoid buying a repro part and to avoid messing with the letters. It looked like garbage, but it wasn't physically damaged. I was pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
It's not terrible, but the mounting points are cracked, it's missing pieces, and rattles around. I already tried gluing it with a 2-part epoxy for plastics - that worked for about 6 months, but after some bouncing around on some back roads it cracked again.

Well I purchased the non-emblem grille for single headlights base model. Got it for $27 bucks shipped! So I can't complain. I'm going to try and glue the emblem on, or just leave it for now without if that won't work with the new grille.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I gotcha. Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You could also use 3M trim tape to attach it. Its available at most auto parts stores.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD