Repair or replace radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I have seen just one radiator that was damaged from flying debris.

That must've been mine that was attacked by a rabid tumbleweed at 70MPH.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That must've been mine that was attacked by a rabid tumbleweed at 70MPH.
Thrown by a squirrel.... Lol j/k. I wasn't by any means saying it doesnt happen. It isnt like an everyday occurance though....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am just happy that it could be reconditioned for a reasonable price.
You got to keep the OE copper one. That's great in your situation. Can I ask you- the 800 bucks- was that for a complete new one with plastic tanks, or getting a new copper core to put into yours? Just curious.....

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You got to keep the OE copper one. That's great in your situation. Can I ask you- the 800 bucks- was that for a complete new one with plastic tanks, or getting a new copper core to put into yours? Just curious.....

The repair guy just threw that out there when I dropped it off Friday afternoon. He said “it’s a good thing it’s not too beat up. If you had to replace this radiator it would be over $800 and it would have plastic tanks.”

...something to that effect. He’s accurate. I looked at replacement 35x21”—not exact—radiators with the dual internal oil coolers and they were up there; plastic tanks and all.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The repair guy just threw that out there when I dropped it off Friday afternoon. He said “it’s a good thing it’s not too beat up. If you had to replace this radiator it would be over $800 and it would have plastic tanks.”

...something to that effect. He’s accurate. I looked at replacement 35x21”—not exact—radiators with the dual internal oil coolers and they were up there; plastic tanks and all.
Thats cool. I was just wondering.... Glad you got it taken care of. Even better- it's good the cops haven't picked you up yet... .. Lol

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Thats cool. I was just wondering.... Glad you got it taken care of. Even better- it's good the cops haven't picked you up yet... .. Lol
They have. I’m cooperating. They’re building a case against the pedofile pimp kingpin. He’s rumored to reside in the PNW. He was last seen in Salem, Oregon driving a square body with curtains in the windows.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
This has got me thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to track down a competent radiator shop and have mine freshened up while the rest of the truck is apart too.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
This has got me thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to track down a competent radiator shop and have mine freshened up while the rest of the truck is apart too.
There used to be one at Dort Hwy and Richfield Rd if I remember correctly. That used to be the best place around but it’s been many years since I’ve lived down there so no guarantees it’s still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
There used to be one at Dort Hwy and Richfield Rd if I remember correctly. That used to be the best place around but it’s been many years since I’ve lived down there so no guarantees it’s still around.

Colebergs iirc, they moved at one point, and not sure if they're still around. That was the place I was thinking of when I commented though.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
There you go. Hopefully they just fled the scene to keep from getting their copper stolen every night and they’re still in business.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
While it's definitely not the most exciting thing to spend money on, the peace of mind is worth it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

I have a 4 core waiting to be installed in Crusty Biscuit. I'll have to modify the cradles for the bigger tanks, but better cooling is a must in the triple digits temps, especially when it'll be a vortec setup. I'm keeping an eye on the electric fan installations I see on various threads so I can add that too. Had the radiator reconditioned at a local shop for $95 out the door. I take all my raditaors to them and they've always been reasonable and do good work. $260 seems steep, but it's like new and fits like it's supposed to without modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus