Repair or replace radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983/1984
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump/M1010
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c/6.2 diesel
Back to the radiator questions and related to my need for a new radiator. I have a 1991 V1500 with the 350 engine in it and need a new radiator. I want metal and preferably no aluminum. Can I install a 6.2 diesel radiator in this vehicle without any modifications except maybe the cradles to hold the top and bottom of the radiator in place...? I would be getting a oil cooler in addition to the current trans cooler as a bonus. Sometime down the road I plan on a diesel swap to 6.2/5.9/3.9....?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You should be able to do it just by moving the bracket and rubber supports on one side for the wider radiator. The header should already have the bolt holes in it. Hoses might be a little more challenging. You'll probably need a different fan shroud too.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You’ll definitely want the shroud too. Small block and diesel radiators are way different size wise. Then you’ll have to play with your fan to get it to fit the shroud right both in circumference and how deep it goes into the shroud. I think the hole in the shroud for the fan is about 22” across and my fan is approx 20” in diameter. Your fan should fill out the shroud well and sit halfway in/halfway out of the shroud on the depth. For non clutch fans, there are aluminum spacers that go between the flange on the water pump and fan blade to dial in the depth somewhat.

I have a 6.2 radiator. I used a fan from a 99 3500hd I believe, and a HD fan clutch with my vortec setup. You will have to find a different solution for a standard rotation water pump.

And as previously mentioned, the hoses will need to be replaced.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983/1984
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump/M1010
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c/6.2 diesel
So from what I am reading.....the radiator will go in with little or no trouble without changing any metal. The hoses will probably need to be changed to diesel hoses at rad install (i'm guessing because the diesel is wider then the gas rad?) Also when I change the engine to a diesel I will have some problems with the fan shroud and spacing the fan (guessing again that the gas shroud should work until I swap engines..??) I should/will find an M1008/9 and compare before I do the purchase.
Thanks

Jimmy84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC k5
Engine Size
5.7l
I have a 4 core waiting to be installed in Crusty Biscuit. I'll have to modify the cradles for the bigger tanks, but better cooling is a must in the triple digits temps, especially when it'll be a vortec setup. I'm keeping an eye on the electric fan installations I see on various threads so I can add that too. Had the radiator reconditioned at a local shop for $95 out the door. I take all my raditaors to them and they've always been reasonable and do good work. $260 seems steep, but it's like new and fits like it's supposed to without modifications.

Jimmy84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC k5
Engine Size
5.7l
I’m posting here because I can’t seem to find a thread discussing radiator hose solutions when using a diesel radiator with a 5.7 swap. I just want to hear of some solutions members have used to address this problem. I’m swapping a ’94 5.7 into my ’84 Jimmy. If a thread does exist, I apologize for posting here.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m posting here because I can’t seem to find a thread discussing radiator hose solutions when using a diesel radiator with a 5.7 swap. I just want to hear of some solutions members have used to address this problem. I’m swapping a ’94 5.7 into my ’84 Jimmy. If a thread does exist, I apologize for posti
ng here.

What generation of 350 and what front drive system? Snap a few shots of your pulley/belt system.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
What generation of 350 and what front drive system? Snap a few shots of your pulley/belt system.

I was going to tag you because you have a similar setup. Cool you replied.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP