Removing emissions......what is this???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Correct my 305 has to have some timing pulled so it doesn't ping, then power is down, so is mpg from the retarded timing so a double hit on the mpg. One from no EGR the second from the retarded timing.And as my giant benefit from this the truck has less power due to the retarded timing.I just hooked the EGR valve back up.I can live with more power and better MPG even if it does help the planet

The guys with boosted LSs are starting to realize they can fight detonation with EGR. The stuff I linked to is good reading material.

Well, it's better if it is all working right. It is WAY worse when it is not working right.

The best way to combat detonation in boosted applications is with water or methanol injection. It does the same thing for quench and temperatures(but better), and without the hassle of trying to plumb exhaust gasses that might be super hot and/or under high pressure. They've been doing that since I was building boosted stuff back in the 90's.

What they have mainly gone to now on the big power boosted LS stuff is just running fully on E85 or E90. You have a little less energy density in the fuel, but it burns way cooler and is very resistant to detonation.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I used to run ethanol and water injection. Crude cobbled up crap with a Hobbs switch and a washer pump . Oldsmobile did it even better, back in the early 60s they used boost pressure to pressurize a container full of ethanol for their injection.Owners would forget to add the rocket fuel and detonate their motors to pieces.

Oh yeah I totally agree E85 is the sh!t for boost

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hence the name "exhaust gas recurculation",in small amounts.And the reason its then called techically a vacuum leak is because it opens up on the intake manifold and that has vacuum in it.And if it got stuck open,then there you go..not wanting to start a pissing contest but a egr valve has never been much of a high tech thing.But it does definitely have its use.I'm mostly just gave a history lesson on that old tech as it was used back in the day,and how hated that smog crap was.And some remember firsthand how those old v8s got so sorry on performance back then.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Oh yea I used to disable them too. And you are right if one sticks open it sure does create drivability problems.I guess you're right it is a vacuum leak, just to inert gas instead of O2. Never thought about it that way.

Damnit!!! I learned something today, WTF!!##

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh yea I used to disable them too. And you are right if one sticks open it sure does create drivability problems.I guess you're right it is a vacuum leak, just to inert gas instead of O2. Never thought about it that way.

Damnit!!! I learned something today, WTF!!##
If you like there is a good article about positive type egr and the negative type egr over at motor.com in the february 2008 issue

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you like there is a good article about positive type egr and the negative type egr over at motor.com in the february 2008 issue
We actually have water cooled egr systems on our semi trucks and when they fail...$5000+ to repair every time!

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Exactly. An engine set up for EGR will not run right unless it is adjusted to work without it. It needs to be adjusted when the EGR is removed. Same thing with removing or modifying the catalytic converter, same thing with running a different octane of fuel also.
That may explain my idle issues. Doesnt hurt to hook it back up and see I guess. I still have the parts and hoses sitting there

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I used to run ethanol and water injection. Crude cobbled up crap with a Hobbs switch and a washer pump . Oldsmobile did it even better, back in the early 60s they used boost pressure to pressurize a container full of ethanol for their injection.Owners would forget to add the rocket fuel and detonate their motors to pieces.

Oh yeah I totally agree E85 is the sh!t for boost

Even olds doing that back in the 60's was just reusing old war tech from WWII aviation. WASP radials used water/meth injection with the radial superchargers for anti-detonation at take-off and emergency power levels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_&_Whitney_R-2800_Double_Wasp

The older Turbojet engines used for commercial jetliners and the older bombers back in the 50's and 60's also used water injection heavily to keep the turbine blades from melting off during takeoff. Think old KC-135(they eventually got refit to turbofans that don't use this), Boeing 707, B-52, etc...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii