Is this bad? Turbo question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Found this when removing air filter. It's clean up to this line of oil. IS this bad? I'm guessing this means I need to rebuild it because The oil seal is going bad. been a while since ive had to rebuild one. No play of any kind so its good there. I just want to prevent a runaway situation.
Anyone know if this is normal or not? I don't think so because it's always been clean as far as I remember anyway.
This is On a 1993 12 valve VE pump engine.

Attachments

• 20240411_153517.jpg
    20240411_153517.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240411_153523.jpg
    20240411_153523.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240411_153546.jpg
    20240411_153546.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 16

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Can't say I have seen that before. I would be more concerned with the charge air side if seals were a problem.
Is the engine loaded (lugged) often at lower rpm's where the turbo doesn't get a chance to really spool up?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Can't say I have seen that before. I would be more concerned with the charge air side if seals were a problem.
Is the engine loaded (lugged) often at lower rpm's where the turbo doesn't get a chance to really spool up?
Maybe a little bit yes. Doesn't get the highway too often but I don't think I lug it that much but I do let it idle some in the morning when I drive it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why would you be more concerned with charge side?

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Why would you be more concerned with charge side?
The charge air side is feeding the engine. Checking it, is more relevant as far as turbo seals during inspection.
He mentioned "run away". Have never heard of an oil leak causing that on a 4 stroke, but the old 2 stroke diesel was a different animal. As long as their blower was functioning, it didn't take much to feed them. Probably where his concern came from.
As I'm sure you know, diesels don't have a throttle plate in their intake like gas engines do to hold them back. Their rpm is limited by fuel and load. Sure, they were introduced to diesels with iT4 emissions, but mainly to assist with higher exhaust temps for their regeneration cycles.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I understand diesels,and have had one run away on me,it was 4 stroke,I just didn't understand,still don't why oil leaking into the intake side at any point would be more or less concerning.I know mine was drawing oil vapor from the crankcase.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
It is just my opinion. I do not make my living in the auto industry so am not up to speed with all the small details of their installations. I have been working with/on diesels off-highway though for over 30 years.
With regards to the charge air side, it is the direction of air flow. If the seals are failing, oil will build up in the charge air side, probably more so at lower boost pressures. If the turbo is performing well, does not have excessive radial play and not building oil in charge air system, I would not be pulling it off for a rebuild.
Was not aware of crankcase gasses being fed directly into the inlet of the turbo but it would make sense of what it going on with his in that event.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It is just my opinion. I do not make my living in the auto industry so am not up to speed with all the small details of their installations. I have been working with/on diesels off-highway though for over 30 years.
With regards to the charge air side, it is the direction of air flow. If the seals are failing, oil will build up in the charge air side, probably more so at lower boost pressures. If the turbo is performing well, does not have excessive radial play and not building oil in charge air system, I would not be pulling it off for a rebuild.
Was not aware of crankcase gasses being fed directly into the inlet of the turbo but it would make sense of what it going on with his in that event.
I wasn't starting trouble,was just trying to understand the thinking. When the one ran away on me,it was oil from the crankcase vapors in the airbox, so my natural thought was any oil on the intake side,would be concerning. I was hoping you were some kind of guru,because I always like learning. The crankcase was vented to the air cleaner housing.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Here is what it all looks like. No play on intake side in any direction.
It's just got me wondering because it's clean up to there. If it's a little unburned fuel then it's probably not a problem but I just don't recall it being like this always. Anything els I should check?

Attachments

• 20240412_090429.jpg
    20240412_090429.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240412_090438.jpg
    20240412_090438.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240412_090918.jpg
    20240412_090918.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 14

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
This had me scratching my head for a bit, but I think I finally see what is going on here.

That compressor housing IIRC has a two piece design so air on the pressure side can vent back to the inlet side. That's why we're not seeing oil all the way out to the end of the intake like you would if it's crankcase pullover. You should see a slot that goes around just by the tips of the compressor blades.

I think it's leaking oil behind the compressor wheel. I'd suggest taking the compressor discharge off and see how much oil is in the intake plumbing.

I also don't like that grayish look to the oil. In the photo it looks like it's either ingesting exhaust, or there's aluminum being ground into lapping paste.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
This had me scratching my head for a bit, but I think I finally see what is going on here.

That compressor housing IIRC has a two piece design so air on the pressure side can vent back to the inlet side. That's why we're not seeing oil all the way out to the end of the intake like you would if it's crankcase pullover. You should see a slot that goes around just by the tips of the compressor blades.

I think it's leaking oil behind the compressor wheel. I'd suggest taking the compressor discharge off and see how much oil is in the intake plumbing.

I also don't like that grayish look to the oil. In the photo it looks like it's either ingesting exhaust, or there's aluminum being ground into lapping paste.
I'll check like you said. And the sample on my finger is just shiny from direct sunlight. It's really just wet black. No aluminum tint. I could always take another pic.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'll check like you said. And the sample on my finger is just shiny from direct sunlight. It's really just wet black. No aluminum tint. I could always take another pic.

Just the picture then. Got it. It just looks really gray in the pic.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Belated update. I pulled off the outlet and found some oil. I know I've seen this on powerstrokes and supercharged mini cooper's lol but I don't like it. I have a bigger turbo I've been saving anyways so Maybe it's time to swap. Assuming it's still good too like I think. I think its a wh1c? I'll have too dig it up and look at it. Or I'll just renew this one.
Any Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240421_153649.jpg
    20240421_153649.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240421_153705.jpg
    20240421_153705.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 11

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Some oil is acceptable and normal. It also depends on your crankcase ventilation. If you have a road-draft tube I'd say it's too much, but if it vents to the intake it may be okay. The only way to be 100% sure is to pull the compressor wheel off and look at the back side. If you do that, make sure you match mark the wheel to the shaft so you can put it back in the same orientation.

Also, any drain restriction or high crankcase pressure can force oil through the seals. The seals are more designed to keep air out of the bearing housing than to keep oil in.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
@Blue Ox
Crankcase vent is road-draft style and believed to be clear. I don't think i have drain restrictions but haven't looked. I don't think I have blow by wich means I'll have to remove compressor wheel like you mentioned probably to check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli