Remove accessories from this old truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txaggie

Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Howdy all,

Do you think I should remove these steps and bug guard from this old barn find? Detroit steels and a small drop are in the works…

However the yellow camper truck looks cool with the old school stuff on it…

Attachments

• IMG_5207.jpeg
    IMG_5207.jpeg
    738 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 40

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I would leave them on. It's getting difficult to find accessories for these old trucks. If you do remove them keep them or sell them to some one wanting to use them.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Agreed with above, I'd leave them on at least until you get the drop and wheels on to see what it looks like. If you don't like them, pull 'em off but stash them somewhere. It's really hard to find accessories for these trucks now. My ultimate goal is to find an '80s era correct CC dually that's still got all the accessories and wild panel paint still on it. LS or Cummins swap it, slam it but leave everything else as it was. It's so cool to see the add ons on a modified truck IMO

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'd leave them on. Heck I spent a could of years looking for a decent set of used running boards of that style. I finally did find a set. If you do decide to remove them don't trash them, sell them to someone that likes them. But still my vote is leave them on. I think it pulls the look of the truck together and all that stuff is period correct as well.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The suburban looks good, the yellow truck is a little bit impractical. I'm not sure which vehicle you are working on or asking about.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m not a fan of the running boards, nor the way it looks like they attach (screwed into the sheet metal seam). I’m more of a nerf bar/rock slider kinda guy. Bonus is that frame mounted sliders or steps are easier to do in an burb than a pickup.

Also agree that the yellow truck is a bit impractical for an actual camping rig. It would be a nice cruiser without the oversized slide in and front mounted spare, though.

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
If mine came with both running boards ( and the one board was held on by more than 3 1/4" bolts) I would have kept them on. I'm looking for the old-school bug shields and a few other accessories. I'm keeping the tripod camper mirrors (or installing the mini-west coasts mirrors I still have from an old ride - CB and whip ariels included. I like the old stuff as it reminds me of high school times. But my wife seems to thinks otherwise...

Attachments

• IM000872.JPG
    IM000872.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 15

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
I’m not a fan of the running boards, nor the way it looks like they attach (screwed into the sheet metal seam). I’m more of a nerf bar/rock slider kinda guy. Bonus is that frame mounted sliders or steps are easier to do in an burb than a pickup.

Also agree that the yellow truck is a bit impractical for an actual camping rig. It would be a nice cruiser without the oversized slide in and front mounted spare, though.
A lot of that style of running board had frame-mounted brackets, or at least the trucks (and one four-door Pontiac Pariesine) I have owned did.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
My opinion is that running boards belong in the scrap pile! I've seen them rust trucks out pretty bad, and it just gives the truck/Burb/Blazer a taller, tougher look without them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A lot of that style of running board had frame-mounted brackets, or at least the trucks (and one four-door Pontiac Pariesine) I have owned did.

Ok... I'm gonna really hope that you have pictures of the Pontiac with running boards on it, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS