Registering as Antique/Classic in Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy97

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Guys I need some advice of whether registering the truck as an antique in texas is a good move, as I wont be driving it everyday and heard its cheaper and plates are valid for 3 years with no inspection needed?? Is that true? Also has anyobe on here dobe so and could esimate cost of it. I know I have to transfer title ti my name so thats taken care of btw. Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is about $60 to register antique. It has limits on driving. Classic has less limits but also less benefits. No inspection in antique plated vehicles.

Reaction score
First Name
darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Not sure about Texas but in washington you can basically drive to car shows and test drives with collector plates...
Not worth the hassle... classic car insurance would make up the difference... I pay $250 a year for full coverage unlimited mileage.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1957 BelAir and a 1979 K10. Both are registered as normal vehicles. I chose to not register them as antiques as a vehicle that is registered as an antique has restricted driving. You are not suppose to drive it anywhere except to/from a car show, getting it serviced, and road trips with clubs. I want to drive my classics anywhere I want and whenever I want.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I just use a parts store run for my driving reasons. When vehicle is not a daily driven, it still gets taken out once a month.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
There are driving restrictions listed on the application. Plate good for several years, no inspection required.
My buicks have antique plates, and my Blazer will in a couple years when it is eligible.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I put em on anything antique lol I'm always working on it so everywhere I go is to show or work on it haha

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I got antique plates on my 82, I don't drive it everyday but I do drive it anytime I feel like it, like tomorrow Im taking it to work because the weather is nice. It was $40 for about 4 years IIRC. No inspection, no windshield sticker, no front plate.

chevy97

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Went ahead and transferred title and got antique plates as I'll drive it once in a while, all for $132.00 bucks. Anyways the officers down hear arent to worried about plates as chasing drug runners and illegals are a top priority. Thanks for y'alls feedback and I actually twst deove it last night and got to 74mph, with no problems and actually was smooth and felt like a truck. Other than tire wobble cause of bent wheel, it was fun driving my own first squarebody.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy