1987 all original gmc sierra classic Value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love clearance lights, but that truck was definitely special ordered as they look weird on a little 1/2 ton 2wd.
Nice truck. For sure. Are you trying to flip it or just see if you got a deal on it?

Apparently values vary ALOT around the country, although I think the $2-3k guys are are low by a couple grand. Although it's hard to put an actual value because it has some serious plusses and minuses in the same equation.
Big plusses, original rust free low miles, looks well cared for, except that it must have sat outside for a LONG time. The super low miles doesn't bring alot to the table as at 34 years old, EVERYTHING mechanical is suspect or possibly needs replaced. Especially considering it appears that it sat untouched for years. But you would know better. No leaks, doesn't burn oil brakes and front end great, trans works like it should, or sticky brakes, only 2 oil leaks and a rotten radiator and ATF is brown. 2 different scenarios.
Biggest detractor is probably the paint. Decent paint job is a few grand minimum or alot of time and still 4 figures worth of materials.
Next is interior and trim. Looks pretty good, but if the dash and seat are crispy and the other little things it needs like emblems restored etc. Theres another $1000 in look good parts.

To the right buyer, I'd say $4-5k based on the low miles if everything else checks out.
Short bed helps the value as does V8/auto drivetrain.

Either way cool truck and welcome!

Samuel Moore

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
Thank you sir

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Same here, in my area there's an absolutely mint 80's red c10 with a 6 cyl and 4 speed, low miles. Been up for sale for 3 grand for 5 months or so now and still for sale. If it was 4x4 it woulda been gone a long time ago, probs doesn't help it's a 6 cyl

6cyl/4speed kills the value IMO. Aint noone wants a little hot rod with a 6 banger and it's not quite a no brainer swap to a V8. And it probably has a 1 wheeler peeler with 2.73s or something in the pumpkin. And most people wouldn't look to that kind of truck as a daily driver (like alot of us would because we are enamored with these trucks!)
That said, I might be interested in it, if it's a short box, depending what "mint" means although I'm more after a round eye truck.

Bottom line, these trucks flipped the switch from old beaters to "classics" recently and they are on the rise. Never going to be a GTO judge, but the right trucks are selling for big money restored or hot rods done right. Problem is the OP's truck still needs restored.

FWIW, there's a pretty good market for them (and any other good vehicle) here in WA and maybe it's the per capita income average in this state compared to other parts of the country, but I have always believed that's relative, in general, as higher income always seems to come with higher cost of living and I'm not sure it balances out.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Is the SPID label still in the glovebox? I'm wondering if "U01" is listed as an option.

Samuel Moore

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
Not sure but ill check when I get off work tomorrow and let you know.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
6cyl/4speed kills the value IMO. Aint noone wants a little hot rod with a 6 banger and it's not quite a no brainer swap to a V8. And it probably has a 1 wheeler peeler with 2.73s or something in the pumpkin. And most people wouldn't look to that kind of truck as a daily driver (like alot of us would because we are enamored with these trucks!)
That said, I might be interested in it, if it's a short box, depending what "mint" means although I'm more after a round eye truck.

Bottom line, these trucks flipped the switch from old beaters to "classics" recently and they are on the rise. Never going to be a GTO judge, but the right trucks are selling for big money restored or hot rods done right. Problem is the OP's truck still needs restored.

FWIW, there's a pretty good market for them (and any other good vehicle) here in WA and maybe it's the per capita income average in this state compared to other parts of the country, but I have always believed that's relative, in general, as higher income always seems to come with higher cost of living and I'm not sure it balances out.
The mileage isn't crazy low, but 90,000 for an 84 is pretty good. Don't know anything other than what's in the ad, looks like original paint.

I'm definitely no body guy, I'm a mechanical guy, so i look for trucks with decent bodies and mechanical problems instead or undesirable drivetrain combos. I like making things more heavy duty and stronger, and adding upgrades. Granted if it was an all original numbers matching nice truck, I wouldn't change much at all.
https://touch.bismanonline.com/bismarck_nd/1984_chevrolet_pickup_5

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The mileage isn't crazy low, but 90,000 for an 84 is pretty good. Don't know anything other than what's in the ad, looks like original paint.

I'm definitely no body guy, I'm a mechanical guy, so i look for trucks with decent bodies and mechanical problems instead or undesirable drivetrain combos. I like making things more heavy duty and stronger, and adding upgrades. Granted if it was an all original numbers matching nice truck, I wouldn't change much at all.
https://touch.bismanonline.com/bismarck_nd/1984_chevrolet_pickup_5

Hey, that looks fairly clean, but I can see why it hasn't sold. Aside form being a 6 banger and 4 speed, and a pure base model stripper truck, that one close up pic with the rust hole looks like a cheap, bad paint job. And the rust hole. If it's rusted through again after being re-painted, there's more where that came from and it also wasn't repaired properly.
Thx for posting it up though.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Hey, that looks fairly clean, but I can see why it hasn't sold. Aside form being a 6 banger and 4 speed, and a pure base model stripper truck, that one close up pic with the rust hole looks like a cheap, bad paint job. And the rust hole. If it's rusted through again after being re-painted, there's more where that came from and it also wasn't repaired properly.
Thx for posting it up though.
That's about as nice as they get around here. Most are beat up farm trucks or people didn't care about their vehicles, granted there are very nice original trucks around, quite a few immaculate ones, but they're getting into 5 digits easy up here.

I prefer manual windows and locks, but that's just me. Don't care for the fancy interiors either, that's not what trucks are, or well used to be, at least in my mind. I would hop on it if it was 4wd and cheaper, for a pretty nice daily.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
@Samuel Moore I see you got the same answer on this as I gave you over on GMFS :hmm: Are you a believer now or do you still think you've struck gold?

Samuel Moore

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
Lmao nah like I posted on the other site I'm a firm believer in opinions. So I pick as many people's brains as I can to come up with the best average price. I honestly love these truck and I'm going to sell this one . Simply because I want a Street Glide more then I want this truck . I will buy another square body later on most likely just a rolling frame . But for now its got to go

Thanks you all again for your opinions

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lmao nah like I posted on the other site I'm a firm believer in opinions. So I pick as many people's brains as I can to come up with the best average price. I honestly love these truck and I'm going to sell this one . Simply because I want a Street Glide more then I want this truck . I will buy another square body later on most likely just a rolling frame . But for now its got to go

Thanks you all again for your opinions

ok, so you bought it to flip it. That’s cool.
I believe it’s not generally proper or professional to ask anyone what they paid for something, but since you’re wanting our opinions, it’s fair.
How much did ya give for it?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's about as nice as they get around here. Most are beat up farm trucks or people didn't care about their vehicles, granted there are very nice original trucks around, quite a few immaculate ones, but they're getting into 5 digits easy up here.

I prefer manual windows and locks, but that's just me. Don't care for the fancy interiors either, that's not what trucks are, or well used to be, at least in my mind. I would hop on it if it was 4wd and cheaper, for a pretty nice daily.
Since the original thread is dead I’m not jacking it.
No, I understand. Location is a big part. As is 4wd and desirable packages. These trucks are now classics but not high dollar classics.
I may have over paid for our 86 last year, but A. It checked all the boxes for what I wanted, or at least 9 out of 10 of them. B. It didn’t require shipping cross country and a plane ride to go see it. It was 1 tank of diesel and a nice Saturday drive to Oregon w my wife. C. “Nice” ones go quick and I’m probably guilty of driving up the market a bit but if I paid a grand or more too much, that could be EASILY spent elsewhere with the truck at the blink of an eye. So there’s that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128