Recommend a distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
About 18mos ago I installed an Edelbrock TBI intake manifold. I'd previously had a problem with the original distributor "chirping/squeaking" and rust around the base of the rotor, etc. I'd pumped some Triflow into it, and that seemed to take care of that issue, but the engine had always had a slightly rough idle and I'd read via a GM tech, that cracks around the rotors were a common cause.

Figured that since I had it all torn down, I'd replace the distributor. Purchase a rebuilt unit at NAPA and turned in my original as a core (stupid, I know).

About 6mos ago, the engine died driving through a parking lot and wouldn't restart. I popped the air cleaner off and laid hands on all the electrical connectors, and then it started and ran fine. It did it again a few weeks later, and again started for no apparent reason.

Hasn't done it again, even on a couple of 5hr each-way camping trips towing the tent trailer in near triple digit heat..............until last week where it died on my wife, just driving down the street. She'd only got about 3/4mi and by the time I got there, it'd restarted and was fine. Again, fine ever since.

Talked to a GM trained tech that I respect and he immediately said, "ICM" And well, here I am, sporting some rebuilt POS from NAPA.

So, should I go with an AC-Delco unit, or with something aftermarket? I'm not big on hanging aftermarket unless it's really tried and true....and there's some actual benefit, and not just a wiz-bang bragging session.

Thanks!

Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
ACDelco will be your best bet for the ICM. A lot of their parts are made in China these days, but the quality is still pretty decent, and much better than aftermarket.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Airtex/wells is best if AC Delco cant be found. Make sure you match the part number up with your old one, there are 2 different ICMs for TBI trucks, and it has to do with spark latency settings.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I see I can purchase the AC-Delco ICM by itself, at SummitRacing, for $72http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acf-19179578/overview/make/chevrolet/year/1990/model/v1500-suburban

Not sure what my original ICM's number was, and it's long gone. I appears this AC-Delco unit substitutes for quite a few different ones.

Just ordered the AC-Delco unit locally for $69. Be here tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Sure thing! You might try checking RockAuto.com next time. Looks like they have the ICM for $52 or so. Depending on shipping and how patient you are, you can sometimes get pretty good deals.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The one I ordered from the local AC-Delco supplier wound up showing up today, so it's installed. Hopefully the ICM was the issue and I can go back to trusting the 'burb as being bulletproof and 110% reliable, which is what it's always been.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The one I ordered from the local AC-Delco supplier wound up showing up today, so it's installed. Hopefully the ICM was the issue and I can go back to trusting the 'burb as being bulletproof and 110% reliable...which is what it's always been.

I wish the wife thought that of my Burb...it would have been fixed by now.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The wife loves it. It'd be her DD if fuel wasn't $4-$5/gallon all these years.

It's always been very reliable, but ever-present in my mind is the fact that the original 5.7 has 286k on it now, and of course, the survival of the 700R4. Most of what it does is either long distance road trips, or really long distance towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood