82 454 cranks but no start. Not firing. Has proper voltage and distributor has all new internals.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cactus

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Help I'm at my wits end with this thing. The short version is this, 2 years ago did a tune up on it, ran perfect. 6 months ago died on me while on the hiway. No spark so replaced icm, started right up ran perfect again. 2 months ago died again same thing. Checked icm tested good. Pulled coil cap off and coil was melted so replaced that, truck ran good again for 2 days and stranded me again. Replaced entire distributor this time with a good used one, ran good again. Drove it home and a few days later went out and started it up. Shut it off came back out 15 min later and no start. Now I have rebuilt the entire original distributor. New pick up coil too and still no spark. Voltage is correct including cranking voltage. Anyone got any ideas this thing has numbed my brain.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Maybe the ignition selector switch on top of the steering column. Corroded or melted plug in connector somewhere along the way. Or it isnt getting power during the cranking cycle, for some reason.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Swap out the cap/coil with a known good part. Coil ground strap installed? Replacement parts today are questionable, ohm out the pickup. If a used GM module is available put it in with dielectric underneath. Better option would be changing the entire dist with known good used.

cactus

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I did swap it out with a known good one once. That's the one I just took out and put in the one I rebuilt. When I took the original one apart to rebuild it the pick up coil basically just fell apart and I thought I found the problem. I put a brand new one on it, checked ohms on everything as I put it all back together and it all shows good.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A HEI dist can be bench tested before installation all they need is power and ground. Rotate shaft, should be able to hear spark jumping. Stay away from plug wire towers, will get shocked. HEI's today are very dependable units.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
You could totally make a GM taser lol

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's been a long time since GM HEI training, but as I recall, they taught us distributor powered up,pickup coil disconnected,inside of cap visible, lock your finger and touch the pickup coil leads on the distributor you should see a lightning storm inside the cap. I would not have the plug wires on it. That was a quick and dirty test of the pickup coil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe