Engine cranks, but only starts after letting off key? - I'm perplexed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
Hello all!

I'm perplexed...I think the repair shop is getting there too.

I recently had my suburban break down on the weekend shortly after leaving the house. The engine bucked a couple times before briefly stumbling and dying. Coasted into a parking lot and had it towed to a local shop. It would crank but not even try to fire up, no matter what. Dropped it off at the shop and while waiting my a ride, I tried cranking it again. It did start up after a quite a bit of cranking, but was still running a little rough.

Upon speaking with the shop the next day, their initial diagnosis was that there was a vacuum leak with the throttle body gasket, one of the rubber hoses plugged into the throttle body was dry rotten (vacuum leak #2) and that the intake manifold gaskets were also leaking (vacuum leak #3). Plausible as I know vacuum leaks can cause issues. Didn't quite explain the abrupt change/dying, but at 180k miles, it's not helping the cause. I gave the green light on the work and a few days later picked it up....a brief rewind - while my parents had the suburban stored in a barn, a mouse had chewed on the wiring harness on the intake manifold. My dad spliced the wires back together and hasn't had an issue until now....I asked the shop to check the connections while they were performing the gasket work just to make sure that wasn't a contributing cause. They did and found one butt connector loose, and fixed that. The distributor was also a little rusty inside and the tech said the shaft was catching a little bit when spinning from the bottom. They recommended a replacement OE distributor, and for the few extra bucks, I gave the green light on that. I'd hate to put it all back together and that be an issue not far down the road.

I picked the suburban up yesterday and on the way home the engine stumbled briefly and then started running as normal. Only the one time and never died completely. Made it back to the house and shut it off. A few mins later I tried starting it and it just cranked. No start unless I floored the gas pedal. I finally got it started and since it seemed to be running okay, I drove it back to the shop so they could take a second look the next morning. Once I got to the shop, shut it off, and tried restarting. This time it would crank, but would start as soon as I let off the key (return to the on position by the internal spring). This happened every time I shut off and restart....crank and crank, but as soon as I let off the key, fired up. What's odd is when I picked it up from the shop that afternoon, it fired up immediately without having the let off the key to force it.

Today I went by the shop first thing in the morning to explain the key situation and intermittent stumbling. Showed them a video of it when occurring for reference too. Shop looked over the wire harness again and found a second butt connector loose on the wire to the Coolant Temp Sensor. They checked the whole harness and fixed the loose connection. Both the tech and shop owner drove it without issue. I picked it up this evening and drove it home. Ran great the entire way home. I think the loose connectors fixed the intermittent running issue. Shut if off in the driveway and went to restart it a couple mins later. Same issue - cranks, but only fires after letting off the key. Every time...whether I crank it a short amount of time, or extended time.

So I'm perplexed - what would cause it to crank but only fire after letting off the key??

- Is the coil on the new distributor not sending juice to the ignition while cranking, but it does when in the On position? And because the engine is still spinning from cranking it starts?
- Is it the ignition switch itself? Seems odd considering it was not doing this prior to breaking down initially
- Is it fuel pump or fuel pump regulator related? The fuel tank/pump/filter was replaced about 5 years ago (10k miles) but I wouldn't be shocked if an aftermarket pump doesn't last as long as the original.
- Is there a fuel pump relay on these TBI engines?

Anything I'm not considering but should check, or suggest to the shop? They have been good this whole time, and I'm being friendly because I know these little gremlins can be difficult diagnosis. Just puzzling why it's behaving this way.

I've googled this with a variety of results from forums other than here. Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed and appreciated!!

Update - I let it cool down for about an hour. It did start while cranking without letting off the key, but it took a little bit of cranking. Took it around the neighborhood and let it come back up to temp. Same issue, cranks but fires after letting off the key. The last attempt it tried to fire but wouldn’t start but ran as soon as I let off the key. So strange. Seems to run well, but slight hunt’s rpm at idle. So Slight enough I’m not sure if it’s really an issue. For reference the IAC was replaced about 1.5 yrs ago.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This is really not a puzzler for diagnostics. Remove the 12v lead fron the distributor cap,make a jumper about 2 ft long alligator clip on one end,1/4 female spade on the other. Plug the female spade into the distributor clip the alligator clip to the positive lead on the alternator,crank it,if it fires right up my money is on a dead spot in the ignition switch. If it doesn't fire dump a tablespoon of fuel down each throat of the throttle body. Does it start now? If so it's a fuel related problem. Try those 2 if neither yields results post back we'll dig deeper. Oh yea to turn it off you have to disconnect the jumper from the alternator.

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
Hello all - thank you for your feedback so far. I think it's helping to narrow it down.

I kept the suburban overnight at my house to see how it behaved this morning when cold. Went out and it started like normal. Fired while cranking and didn't have to let off the key. Drove it back to the shop since it would be fully warmed up by the time I got there. Arrived at the shop, shut off, and tried to restart. Repeat of yesterday where it would crank, but fire as soon as I let off the key.

Shop owner came outside so I could replicate the issue in front of him. As I was cranking and holding the key in the crank position, the owner could smell gas. When I let off the key and started, he noticed some black smoke out of the exhaust briefly (unburnt fuel), then cleared up. He thinks the fuel is going to the engine while cranking. He tried it a couple times himself and he notice even a slight movement from the crank position to On allowed it to fire up - it didn't have to be fully released.

The shop called me this afternoon and their lead tech agrees the likely issue is the ignition switch. They're going to replace that tomorrow and resume testing to make sure that is the culprit.

The odd part is that it mainly happens when it's fully up to temp, and not cold. Maybe the switch circuit is generating some heat while it's On/driving and causing the problem to show up then. We shall see tomorrow when the replacement is put in.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Heat can play an issue. Example - my wiper washer switch is inop below about 50 degrees. When the switch is warmer than that, it works just fine. When it gets cold, something must be contracting enough to lose contact. Because I can jumper the washer pump to ground at the delay module and it works regardless of temperature. It's a minor inconvenience that I am not ripping into the column to fix anytime soon unless it gets worse.

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
Well....the ignition switch has been replaced. The shop drove it to test cold and hot starts. Everything seemed to be back to normal according to them.

I picked it up this afternoon and stopped at the store on the way home. Seems to run normal. Came out from the store, same issue...cranks while holding key and starts immediately after letting off.

Called the shop and owner said come back. Was able to replicate in front of him. He said there is some adjustment in the switch for the contact points (I'm taking his word for now) and that he will pull the switch back out Monday morning and check eveything again. He's convinced it has to be the switch. I'll have my popcorn ready for Monday.

Bummed I'll miss the local 80s-90s car show tomorrow morning but there's always next year!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Post #4 if you do that it takes the ignition switch as the problem completely out of the equation and you can drive the car with the jumper wire to the car show.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haven’t looked at a wiring diagram, but what you describe is common misswire in 55-57 chevys at the ignition switch, or a bad ceramic dropping resistor mounted on the firewall. I’m guessing you have an HEI distributor. My wager is on it or its wiring.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Haven’t looked at a wiring diagram, but what you describe is common misswire in 55-57 chevys at the ignition switch, or a bad ceramic dropping resistor mounted on the firewall. I’m guessing you have an HEI distributor. My wager is on it or its wiring.
No resistor after 1974 and the wiring to the switch is on a molded socket no way to flip the wires.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had one a while ago that would do that and it was voltage drop causing it to either the distributor or ECM, when you let off the key the voltage returns to a point that it will function correctly and allow it to start. The cranking pulled the voltage too low even though there was not an issue cranking. I can't remember what cured it though, it was something dumb.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just a thought… I don’t have any idea if this applies to your situation.
On the older vehicles (not sure about the years?) a wire ran from the starter solenoid to the coil, this was for providing sufficient power to the coil while the starter was cranking…
Are you sure about the battery itself?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just a thought… I don’t have any idea if this applies to your situation.
On the older vehicles (not sure about the years?) a wire ran from the starter solenoid to the coil, this was for providing sufficient power to the coil while the starter was cranking…
Are you sure about the battery itself?
Covered in post 12,he needs to do as in post 4 and eliminate all possible wiring and switch problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87ScottW