Ticking after shutting off engine, 350 sbc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
All,

After I recently did some work on my truck (detailed below), I am hearing a distinct loud ticking from the engine area after shutoff. It is about 1 tick/sec, and goes on for about 10 seconds maybe more. Occasionally in the past I would hear this, sometimes double-time 2/sec but never this loud.

Any idea what would cause this?

I would guess it is a heat/expansion issue where parts are cooling off at different rates where they mate, but idk. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
BRetty

Truck: '73 C10, with 350 SB and TH 350C from an '81 Suburban. HEI, Edelbrock manifold and carb. Lowered 4.5/6, exhaust is dual iron manifolds to really badly welded and rusted crappy pipes.

-- Installed a new water pump, which also involved pulling the (Edelbrock) intake manifold to remove the thermostst housing bolt I snapped off, re-threading and re-installing the manifold,
-- removed radiator to be cleaned (he said they would rod it, but I know he just boiled it in the chemical tank b/c Julio called me at 7:30 next morning to tell me it was done).
-- re-installed radiator, hoses, new fan clutch, re-installed alternator and ps pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg