Ready to swap heads and cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Ok here goes. Just wanted to run this by everybody and make sure I'm not missing anything. No matter how many times I work on my cars, something either goes wrong or I forget something! This is a 79 pickup with a stock rebuilt (probably a few years back) 350, approx 3000 miles on it. TH350, stock with shift kit, even newer, maybe 2500 miles on it. I already plugged all the leaks, replaced the trans pan gasket with rubber and the rear main seal, plus the felpro one piece oil pan gasket kit. Installed Summit headers and 2.25 exhaust a few weeks back and recurved the ignition. Rebuilt the Q-Jet but I'm going to go through it again.

List of what I've got:
New Vortec heads w/comp cams hardware, milled .015 (to remove surface rust from sitting), OEM valve covers and rockers, new head bolts
Edelbrock performer vortec w/new stock temp tstat and housing, new intake bolts
Lunati 60101 cam, new sealed power lifters, double roller chain
All gaskets - shim head gaskets, hard plastic type intake, timing cover, valve covers

This stuff has been sitting a couple of months and I'm kind of tired of the stock engine. I feel like this should be a solid setup, possibly more MPG than stock which is around 14 and of course it should be quite a bit more power over the stock 350 smogger.

Anything I'm missing? Thoughts on the combo? Any suggestions on carb work? Right now the truck will be hard to start after just a few hours sitting, like it has no fuel in the carb. If I remember correctly the 79 doesn't have the well plugs. I read something about this in the Qjet book by Ruggles, going to have to look again. Wondering also if this carb will want any fuel mods with the new setup, I really have no idea.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I can testify the Vortec heads do like a richer fuel mixture, but as far as tweaking the q-jet to achieve that I'm no help. :/

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
If the cam has any of a lope to it, thats gonna hurt your mpg, but the better breathing heads should help bring it up.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Shouldn't be any real lope, but even with a slight lope I think MPG is only affected in a negative fashion if it idles full time :) it's a very mild cam that I chose along with stock Vortec heads and Q-Jet for all around good truck duty. I definitely don't need to be racing this heavy old beater too much!

Lunati Voodoo 60101:
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:213
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:219
Duration at 050 inch Lift:213 int./219 exh.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Well I swapped everything over, the only thing I needed was more paint, but I made due. I haven't done cam swaps but a few times, but I've never in my life had one fire right up first try. Very nice :)

Broke the cam in and took it for an easy drive, I have to say the combo runs great so far. If you want torque, this cam has it. Very impressed! My "custom" AC is working great also. I'll have to post up some info on it and the engine work.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Post up some vids

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Shouldn't be any real lope, but even with a slight lope I think MPG is only affected in a negative fashion if it idles full time :) it's a very mild cam that I chose along with stock Vortec heads and Q-Jet for all around good truck duty. I definitely don't need to be racing this heavy old beater too much!

Lunati Voodoo 60101:
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:213
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:219
Duration at 050 inch Lift:213 int./219 exh.

Seems like a good cam for truck duty, just moves the powerband up in thenrom range...not too bad though.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
I'll see what I can do for video :) I'm pretty sure the powerband before was about 1500-2500 RPM, what a dog it was, and that's a pretty fresh engine! Now it rips pretty good (for being a mild old small block, nothing by today's standards but great for an old truck). Has no problem getting up to go at any RPM. I was on the fence about using this cam or the 60102 but I was trying to keep this one "all truck" so I went smaller. Anyway. Here's a few pics to keep you interested!

Click on the thumbnails for full size...

Before, and this looks way better than when I bought it a couple months ago:
You must be registered for see images

During the weekend fun:

Put back together. Yes I know that air cleaner needs some cleanup and paint, at least it works like it should!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35