305 Swap To ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you're 305 is healthy id investigate a super charger that can be used on another small block in the future. Look at the gm performance motors it will give you an unbiased view as to horsepower and torque on various engine platforms ls. Sbc. Bbc. So you can see real world the difference. Gm doesn't care which engine you buy . A SBC falls right in on your exhaust and everything, A bbc almost as easy but not quite, an ls there are lots of things that need changed and each change adds dollars in the end. A 350 crate motor I gaurantee I can have installed running and driving in 6 hours. I can't do that with an LS swap.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are there any major benefits to using a Vortec set up as opposed to ordering a somewhat built 350? How difficult and expensive is the Vortec swap? Thanks for any help.

Cost. Vortec 350s can be bought in my area for a decent price because LS is the sexy beast everyone wants. A Vortec bolts up to the transmission just the same as a Gen1 motor. I have dropped them in and had them running in the same time as an old timey 350. Exhaust and intake manifolds are slightly different. They are roller cammed with factory springs that will accept more lift. IMO, the heads easily outperform the old double hump heads. The blocks are the same. They can be a poor man's alternative.

Hotrod46

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Someone mentioned earlier that your trans may be a 2nd problem. If it is the original 700R4 then it is one of the weakest 700's ever made. The 700's were constantly being upgraded by GM through the early 90's. So many mods were made that they finally changed the designation to 4L60. And then to the electric shifted 4L60E.

Throwing a lot more torque at it won't help it at all. You might get by with a stockish 350 or a very light right foot.

I know you said you don't like the LS, but that's one of the advantages of the LS swap. They come with a trans that is engineered to handle the torque.

I am in the same boat as you. I wanted more power and OD transmission. The best solution IMO was the 4L80E which required a stand alone controller for my carbed engine. By the time I built a better 350 and upgraded to the 4L80 and controller, it was going to cost as much as an LS.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1