Radiator Brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
will someone please post a picture of the bottom brackets on their radiator,i think i may be missing something on my 82 custom deluxe.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, I moved your post into it's own thread. Where you had it, it was certain to be overlooked and you wouldn't have gotten any responses.

I think there are at least 2 different set ups depending on what size radiator you have. IIRC, width is the same, but here is a short and a tall radiator. Hopefully someone else that knows for certain will chime in. I'll see if I can dig up some pics I probably have where the radiator isn't in place so you can see the brackets.

If anyone else has pics with or without radiator in place please post.

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you for the help,as you can tell i am new to this website,and this is also my very first project so i feel completely lost. It doesn't have a fan shroud,so i am going to leave it like it is. I am just trying to find all of the right brackets for it. and i guess its safe to say my radiator is the shorter one.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey, Nick. Me and my brother have a few square body parts, and I'm about to trash a radiator that we took out of one of his trucks that leaks like a sieve. I'm sure the brackets are strewn around the truck with soon no radiator to hold. I'll look, and if you have business down I55, I'm sure you can just have them if they're the correct ones. I'm in Vicksburg all the time, and I live about an hour and a half away in Wesson. Not a lot of active Mississippi folks on the forum, but good to meet you. Hope to be able to help you in the future, and if you need stuff, my brother and I have a good little stash going, and I know the salvage yards around me and up in the Delta that have lots of squares so maybe we can work something out, or I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Alright I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. And I've been to Wesson a few times so I wouldn't mind making another drive to get some parts. I've looked at junkyards here and in Jackson and none of them even have an older truck in them. Or atleast that's what the clerks that answer the phone say.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most larger wrecking yards won't have our trucks. They're all about later model trucks catering to the body shops. It's usually going to be the do it yourself, you pull it yards that are going to have squares.

I've looked at 2 pics of my trucks, and I'm begging to think there is no brackets for radiator. It appears there a grooves, and 2 sets too, so that would mean there is also 2 different widths, and radiator rubber sets in the grooves. And they're not on the frame. They're in the core support flange.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
If I remember correctly it sit's in a channel and the top bracket holds it down. Also, there's 2 or 3 rubber pieces that go on top and bottom to to eliminate metal-metal rubbing from road vibration.

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yeah I called pull a part and some other place and they didn't have an older truck.. I have a few pictures of the problem I'm having. I have 2 brackets that it's sits in but when my radiator is in them it isn't sitting flush with the top. Here's the mount, it just seems like there's a bracket or something that would make it 3 or 4 inches taller

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 150

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Do you have those on the top brackets as well? I've got one on each end of the radiator. If you have those and it's wicked loose like you say, I suspect someone just grabbed a radiator from a different vehicle that isn't the same size.

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It's not necessarily loose, it's just not tall enough. When I got the truck he told me it needed a radiator cause his had a hole in it. Upon inspection , the radiator he had was too big for the bottom bracket and had punctured a hole in it .so I ordered a new one online ( I'm assuming it's oem) it fits into the bottom bracket without a problem scrubbing or anything like that, but now it won't sit flush with the top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 131

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Should look like this and mount on the edge of the tank (think thats what it's called....not a radiator pro). Top and bottom are in that location.

picture.php

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
You may have gotten to wrong radiator. You could verify with the vendor that you got the correct one.

As a temporary fix, you could find some hose and cut it to length, fill the inside of the hose with cut pieces of extra hose. Just make it thick enough to take up the slack. Or roll layers of duct tape over a smaller hose until it's thick enough to secure it. LOL again this is only temporary.

Forgot to mention mine is an 86 so it may be different.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Alright I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. And I've been to Wesson a few times so I wouldn't mind making another drive to get some parts. I've looked at junkyards here and in Jackson and none of them even have an older truck in them. Or atleast that's what the clerks that answer the phone say.

Well, let me know if you need them, and I'll try and check today. County Line Auto Sales in Summit over here by me has good selection when it comes to body parts, C-frames, and a few other trinkets. Redwine in Greenville has a whole row of square bodies, and Cobb's in Indianola usually has one or two. You can pretty much find at least one square in every salvage yard in the Delta.

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yeah if you don't mind just post a picture of the brackets that the radiator is sitting in on the bottom and I'll know then, I'm debating on just ordering a taller radiator. Or if I have to I'll drive to wherever a salvage yard is and grab what I need and then some.

nick_21

Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Update: an old friend of mine has a 78 sitting in a field behind his house because he totaled it last year. So I went and looked and there are no brackets whatsoever on the bottom. Just 2 rubber pieces that the radiator sits on. So I took those and the top piece off of his shroud . It's long enough to go across the top of the whole radiator and the corners sit square in 2 more rubber groves. "Almost" fit like a glove, just had to do a little bit of tweaking. She's alive! And out of gas.. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris