Radiator Brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did GM make more than one style of radiator brackets for the squares? I'm using a thicker radiator than what came with the truck and if these dont fit, was wondering if perhaps the BB's or diesels had something different / larger or am I fabbing something up again?

Thx

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I believe there’s 2 different solid plates for 73-80.

81+ used individual brackets at each mounting bushing that were available in at least 2 sizes. The biggest radiator option (standard on 6.2 diesels and available on some, if not all, BBC’s) fit the big 4 row units.

Trivia; most of the 81+ core supports I’ve seen have 2 sets of threaded holes on the drivers side to accommodate the regular width and extra wide radiators. I believe this was standard after the release of the 6.2 diesel but I don’t know what year it actually started.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
This is the HD unit. For 80's trucks, just swapped my old two piece mounts for this full plate, that actually fits the tall rads. The regular spectra rad fits under just fine, but this plate is meant for a 4 core, I used a 3 core bushing set and got it to work just fine, i had to massage the plate a little for some more clamping force to take up the extra room. I also changed it because I wanted a cover over the rad, since my fan shroud is a little modified, and for when I work on the truck.

70's and 80's wont interchange as far as I know. But you just have to bolt in the new plate and that's it. The aftermarket units are a little flimsy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That top plate is awesome. Always liked those. Probably wont fit my 85 but that doesn't mean one cant be fabbed.

Mine are 2 different brackets - right and left. The original radiator was on the wussy side as far as thickness (IMO). I got a Champion....3 (or 4?) core and by just looking at them, it doesn't look like it will fit in the brackets. I see universal brackets at Jegs, etc. but figured if there is something that was designed for it and bolts in....I'm there.

First palatable day we get I'm going to start assembling the radiator support and all that goes with it. That stuff is in the big boxes taking up lots of storage space. Will be nice to get some of that real estate back.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You can see the unused diesel radiator mounting bracket holes in @PrairieDrifter pic. That metal top plate is for the standard width 4 row rad (I had one like that in my 80 K10, I didn’t realize it would fit 81+ core supports).

This pic is of an extra wide 6.2 diesel rad I’m using in my 91 Blazer. This on uses 2 individual mounting brackets, there’s a plastic cover that spans the gap between the two.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That top plate is awesome. Always liked those. Probably wont fit my 85 but that doesn't mean one cant be fabbed.

Mine are 2 different brackets - right and left. The original radiator was on the wussy side as far as thickness (IMO). I got a Champion....3 (or 4?) core and by just looking at them, it doesn't look like it will fit in the brackets. I see universal brackets at Jegs, etc. but figured if there is something that was designed for it and bolts in....I'm there.

First palatable day we get I'm going to start assembling the radiator support and all that goes with it. That stuff is in the big boxes taking up lots of storage space. Will be nice to get some of that real estate back.
I had the two piece mounts on my 84, I swapped to this. Just bolts on. Fan shroud may need modification. The plate is for a four core

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
This is the 81-88 top mount Bracket for the taller version:

This fits the replacement 20-1/2" x 28" core.
They also sold a 17" core using different core support holes:

The plate pictured above by ParieDrifter is 73-80 only?
I wanted to install one but could not confirm it would work on the 87' Blazer core support.
Be great if it it fits because the plastic spacer is weak.

These are for the 81-88 17" core:

These mount on the inside of the same core support used for the 20-1/2" radiator, only these fit the 17" tall radiator.
If you look closely on the OEM core support, you will see there is bolt holes for either size radiator.
Naturally the shroud is very different.

If you are going to go aftermarket radiator, sometimes going thicker and shorter allows you to use these lower bolt holes to fabricate easier, than trying to split hairs with the top mount style brackets listed first.

When you lower the radiator below the top of the core support, such as the 17" cores, you also remove part of the "seat" for working on the engine and the chance your weight will bend and cause a leak in the taller radiator. The shorter radiator, with a custom shroud and electric fans has it's advantages, so long as you account for the heat load with A/C.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
There is an 81-87 version......

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Did not know that. Is it for the 4 row radiator exclusively?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yes for the big block trucks. #20

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@RanchWelder I think those look like what I have.

@PrairieDrifter - So that panel WILL fit mine??? Fan shroud wont be an issue as I'm going with dual electric fans. Now where to find a nice one......

THX fellas!

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
watching this. I bought a champion radiator and had to shim out the brackets....if there are larger brackets i would be interested.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Just got mine in yesterday and it doesn't fit quite right for me. I'm gonna have to do something about that at one point but, it's in for now with no shroud. Fits in the bottom rubbers but needs to be a little taller I think. The top rubber pieces don't fit just right either. I used some wire on top just to keep it from falling into the fan. Drove it and it doesn't leak so far and got it up to 190 before I got back home and inspected with no leaks.

I'm gonna look into some different rubber grommets to see if it helps but I think I'll need to raise it somehow. Weird how bottom ones are good but top aren't right. I'm getting tired of fighting this and might go for aluminum one with electric fans. But it's working for now. Lol

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just got mine in yesterday and it doesn't fit quite right for me. I'm gonna have to do something about that at one point but, it's in for now with no shroud. Fits in the bottom rubbers but needs to be a little taller I think. The top rubber pieces don't fit just right either. I used some wire on top just to keep it from falling into the fan. Drove it and it doesn't leak so far and got it up to 190 before I got back home and inspected with no leaks.

I'm gonna look into some different rubber grommets to see if it helps but I think I'll need to raise it somehow. Weird how bottom ones are good but top aren't right. I'm getting tired of fighting this and might go for aluminum one with electric fans. But it's working for now. Lol
Your brackets look like mine - was yours a SB or a BB originally?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The rad I have is a 3 core - Champion CC161. Maybe someone has already installed one and knows what works?

The originals -might- actually work....just at first glance they dont look like it and everything is still too packed away to easily size it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag