87 suburban radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So I have a 87 suburban that was originally a 6.2 but has been swapped to a 350 at some point. Working on the cooling system at this point,did hoses and a WP and now it appears I need a radiator. Looks to have the 17" core.
I was seriously thinking about getting an aluminum with electric fans from eBay.
Opinions very welcome and anything that might hinder me like a cts or something I'm not thinking about,even alt upgrades,I do have dual batteries but probably need to think about a relay and temp setting switch? I dunno so opinions very welcome
Thanks

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I put a Derale dual fan with their stainless steel shroud, aluminum 4 core radiator on my truck and relays and controllers for both fans.. And it still runs a little warm in these East Texas summers. A 6.2 is a diesel and comes with the largest factory radiator available. Why would you want to do away with that?? No matter how much air they move, electric fans won't move as much air as a fan & clutch arrangement. Get a fan, fan clutch and shroud to fit what you have and go with that.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Well apparently the diesel radiator is gone along with the swap I guess. Mine has the 19" core . 28 or so wide. Also I might as well address the alternator and belt. I currently have a 7445 belt that runs fan/wp to alt. I don't see that belt number often, any suggestions

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I ended up getting a factory style 716 radiator it just showed up today. If weather permits I will be installing it tomorrow. My factory fan is a little bent on a few blades where it hit the old radiator,i did fix it best I could.
Will this be a problem? Thanks

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Well I did the radiator, did my best to straighten all the fan blades,all new hoses and seems to only hit 170 ish if I push it. Thanks for all the help on this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad