Question about vacuum line for Charcoal Canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have just gotten my truck tuned and timed correctly, and I've noticed that there's a line just hanging open in there that I figured out is from the intake manifold to the charcoal canister, which is no longer present. When I fully plug the line I idle lower and sounds a bit better, but it doesn't continue to run right and eventually dies at idle, but is idling perfectly otherwise. What's my correct action for that line here? Should I just leave it open? How will this affect how it runs?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I have just gotten my truck tuned and timed correctly, and I've noticed that there's a line just hanging open in there that I figured out is from the intake manifold to the charcoal canister, which is no longer present. When I fully plug the line I idle lower and sounds a bit better, but it doesn't continue to run right and eventually dies at idle, but is idling perfectly otherwise. What's my correct action for that line here? Should I just leave it open? How will this affect how it runs?

its an open vacuum leak sucking dirt into the engine. You have to plug it and adjust the carburetor or put a charcoal canister back in. Personally i would put the canister back.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The exact configuration of the canister changed over the years, but based on diagrams I've seen yours should have been controlled by a canister purge valve and a connection to the EGR valve. The design allowed it to draw vacuum and purge the crankcase under certain conditions, but then closed off the connection during most normal operation. This prevented having a constant vacuum leak.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20