Charcoal Canister Line Routing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jak22099

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
Relatively simple question but want to make sure I get it done right, I have a 84' K10 that's been swapped with a 400 sbc. Pretty much all of the emissions crap is gone, only stuff I have hooked up to the carb is the important stuff (pcv, vacuum advance, brake booster, etc...) I've left the charcoal canister alone but I get that strong gas smell and I'm fairly certain that's the reason why. All that's left as far as I can tell is just the hoses to the fuel system. Can I just cap everything off and leave the hoses from the fuel tanks or do I need to run a line to the carb/intake? If so does it matter which port I use? Or if its better just to delete the canister entirely, how do I handle the lines coming from the gas tanks?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a similar situation with my ‘75 GMC, which originally had a Quadrajet with a dedicated port for the canister venting. I don’t know how that port worked (e.g., when it pulled vacuum), but the documentation is clear that it was for the vacuum canister.

With my newer carb I installed a T in the hose for the PCV and connected the canister vent hose there, and it seemed to work fine. However, I also wanted to richen my carburetor a little and thought this additional air might make it run too lean. I now have a 3/8” hose nipple in the bottom of my stock air cleaner, and I ran the vent hose to that nipple. If there is any gas vapor venting from the canister it will be pulled into the air cleaner, so there is no odor. It is non-standard, but seems to work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod