Charcoal canister delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
G-Daughter Macie on a Softball scholarship, went to school with a fellow named Easton, named specifically for the Bat and the Company. He' on a Baseball scholarship somewhere over in Oregon and doing well. Macie keeps tabs on him. Anyway tell your Easton to keep up the GOOD work, on the field and in the garage!!!!!........and GREAT job DAD

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
No it doesn't hurt to keep it. Besides keeping gas fumes down it also keeps moisture out of the tank (reducing rust). Especially important with todays fuels. If you at all interested in keeping the system you should check out this thread. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/charcoal-vapor-evap-canister-how-it-should-be-set-up-and-other-information.37324/
It's really a simple, yet often misunderstood system.
@SirRobyn0 great thread. I will add canister back in based on your comment. The explanation and how to connect was great. I’m going to do the easy vent for now as I get canister and fabricate a mount for front clip.

Thanks so much

Randy and E

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@idahovette thanks for the kind words.. don’t think college is in his future, but he loves the game. Coaches a 12U local team and has since they were 8 so his heart is in the game. Wants to wrench on something for a living I think. He knows the Lord so He will direct him..
we are proud of him, y’all on this forum have helped so much. He is learning to help others even when it’s inconvenient or frustrating… want him to have a servant heart…

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 33

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 great thread. I will add canister back in based on your comment. The explanation and how to connect was great. I’m going to do the easy vent for now as I get canister and fabricate a mount for front clip.

Thanks so much

Randy and E
As you add it back in, if you have questions feel free to tag me in either thread. I'm not going to say I know it all, but I know fair bit about these evap-systems and will help in anyway I can.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I hate to admit this,hate to recommend it but,I have used a fuel filter as a fuel tank vent,one side in a line to the tank, the open end pointing down the theory to me was the paper would absorb water vapor and stop dirt,etc.from getting in the tank.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I hate to admit this,hate to recommend it but,I have used a fuel filter as a fuel tank vent,one side in a line to the tank, the open end pointing down the theory to me was the paper would absorb water vapor and stop dirt,etc.from getting in the tank.
Sounds like a good idea

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
And I've done it on a short term basis as well. Stuffing a small fuel filter on the end of the vent line is better than nothing, but having the proper closed canister system is much better.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Made an interim fuel vent/charcoal filter (not to vacuum) and sealed the cap again to see if this will work while I fab up the mount for the original canister.

Will report how this works venting tank and keeping fumes down.

Randy and E

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 45

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Nice. I'm contemplating doing something similar. I'm trying to decide if I want to do something simple like that or put the canister in and wire in a purge and vent solenoid to be run by the LS computer.

I think at this point I might just run a vent line like you have it to get rid of the constant fuel smell from my truck until I get around to doing something different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes