Quadrajet Clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The well plugs is another person image but yes the threaded with epoxy plugs is one of the most common easiest fixes to stop the leaks.

Regarding the manifold yeah I did some research and discovered its from a HO version of a 305 engine as you discovered and the snowflake on it refers to being made in the "Winters Foundry" which apparently did a lot of aftermarket performance stuff for GM.

It won't be go anywhere now that I know what I technically have :D

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I'm running one of those manifolds on my stroker, and I am very happy with it.
Got a good deal on it, too, free to me.
I was thinking about getting an edelbrock for my engine, but I'm not sure I would really gain anything, so I put the money elsewhere.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Am I seeing in the pics that you tapped, threaded and used threaded plugs in the well plugs rather than epoxy? Or is that not the well plugs notorious for leaking?

Yes you saw right lol. I drilled out the aluminum press plugs and then tapped and one of these days I will Epoxy the threaded pipe plugs in place of the press plugs.

Its not a half hour job though it took me all day. I had to get the press plugs out without damaging the body and I had to file down the secondary plugs so that the throttle plate will fit over them. Also the metal is so soft on the body that you really need to be careful when tapping.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes you saw right lol. I drilled out the aluminum press plugs and then tapped and one of these days I will Epoxy the threaded pipe plugs in place of the press plugs.

Its not a half hour job though it took me all day. I had to get the press plugs out without damaging the body and I had to file down the secondary plugs so that the throttle plate will fit over them. Also the metal is so soft on the body that you really need to be careful when tapping.

But, it's a permanent fix. Did you really need to epoxy them too being your threaded them and used plugs? Maybe some hand tool grade Lok-Tite or does it not hold up to gasoline? I'd like to be able to take them back out someday to clean under them if I had to rebuild it again.

I'd like to get the tools for bushing the throttle shafts too. Qjets are getting scarce and if I could get the tools to build them right, I'd probably run nothing but Qjets.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
But, it's a permanent fix. Did you really need to epoxy them too being your threaded them and used plugs? Maybe some hand tool grade Lok-Tite or does it not hold up to gasoline? I'd like to be able to take them back out someday to clean under them if I had to rebuild it again.

I'd like to get the tools for bushing the throttle shafts too. Qjets are getting scarce and if I could get the tools to build them right, I'd probably run nothing but Qjets.

The throttle shaft bushings are the only thing holding me up right now. I just have a hard time spending $200+ x 2 for two reamers as the primary and secondaries are different diameter shafts.

I keep looking but to do it properly you need a back cutting pilot reamer and I just cant seem to find any deals.

Oh well im gonna put the eddy 2701 and 1806 on mine for now as its a brand new electric choke carb and pops had his quadjet redone so he doesn't want it anymore. When I get the quadjet done im gonna run that adapter plate #2692 on the 2701. Ill keep the 2101 on my shelf just because.

Im not sure the locktite will hold up and I don't mind if its permanently fixed. Although the way the epoxy is holding up on its own im thinking in a couple years time they wont be to difficult to remove. and if they are and don't leak so be it.

FYI the primary fuel well plugs if tapped all the ways in will block off the fuel passage under neath the main jets. So you only want 3-4 threads inside the body

I guess my biggest worry would be that those little plugs somehow worked their way loose and entered the combustion chamber. but now that I think of it I would probably have some extreme carb issues before that ever happened.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup awesome company.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Check this page out for the throttle shaft rebuild kit. Less than $70
http://quadrajetparts.com/rochester....html?osCsid=bc9f811bb286203f7c5c87e3b6b4783b

The problem with that kit is that you are using the cutting edge of the bit to do the piloting. That means you are very unlikely to get it centered properly with the other side and then you end up with two new throttle shaft bushings installed and a throttle shaft that now binds.

The ones Ive been looking at are $200+ each

http://www.throttleshaftrepair.com/

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No sir I've used it myself. It's a self aligning drill bit, so it goes in straight and not one bit crooked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85