Q-Jet with divorced choke question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I picked up a 72 dated carb and manifold for cheap thinking I could the choke set up on my 78 which doesn't have a choke. Well the 78 doesn't have the pad on the manifold to mount it either. I really don't want to swap manifolds for just a choke. I wondering if there is a way to mount an electric choke.
Just to add info, the exiting carb in the 78 I think is original, but the motor is out of an 86 I beleive. 4 bbl. 350.

I've got a manual choke cable but really don't want to use it.
Thanks

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Does your manifold have the provision for a hot air choke or nothing for an electric application? You should get able to adapt an electric cool to a hot air q-jet

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Don't they make an electric choke for a Quad?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Yes. Mine has one. It works very well.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Does your manifold have the provision for a hot air choke or nothing for an electric application? You should get able to adapt an electric cool to a hot air q-jet

It has nothing for any type of choke.

Don't they make an electric choke for a Quad?

Well Duh! I was reading that an electric choke won't mount to the old style carb. I guess I'll have to tear it apart and take a better look.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If the carb your working with has the round choke heater on the passenger side, you can easily convert to an electric choke. Remove the factory hot air style heater, remove the gasket, ideally you should remove the hot air tubes (you can leave the heater part I the manifold) and block the small internal vacuum port in the back of the housing. Then install the electric heater (make sure you remove the gasket, it grounds thru the housing). With the engine cold, press the gas pedal, the choke plate should close. Rotate the heater until there is a slight tension holding the plate closed. Then, use a hand vacuum pump to apply vacuum to the choke pull off. The choke plate should open a little. The exact amount it opens varies by engine, options, year, etc. Apply SLIGHT closing pressure to the choke plate (to eliminate slop in the linkage messing with your adjustment) and adjust the serscrew on the pull off to open the choke about 3/16 inch. Disconnect the vacuum pump, the choke should fully close again. Reinstall the pull off vacuum hose, start the engine. The choke pull off should open the choke plate slightly. As the engine runs, the choke should continue to open. After a few minutes, the choke should be fully open. You may need a few cold starts to dial in the “happy place” with the choke pull off. If it starts and then almost immediately begins to load up and puff black smoke from the exhaust, the engine needs a little more air, adjust the pull off screw to open the choke plate a little more. If it starts, then dies, or dies when you put it in gear, or dies when you try to accelerate (engine is lean) the choke plate may need to be closed a little more. Like I said, it may take several cold starts to get it right.

Once the engine is fully warmed up, then adjust idle mixture. With the engine off, lightly seat both mixture screws, then back them out evenly about 2 1/2 turns. Start the engine, pick one mixture screw, turn it in out out about half a turn. Pay close attention to the idle speed, hopefully you can detect a change in speed. The idea is to adjust the mixture screws evenly until you have the highest idle speed. Once that’s done, reset idle speed wherever it’s desire, then readjust the mixture screws again, going maybe 1/8 turn at a time. Once that’s done hopefully it idles smoothly, at a low enough speed, and doesn’t die when you put it in gear. Good luck!!