Power window mod on suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
I am sure it's possible to do it as it would be just two extra doors but I have no clue on how to wire it up at all. If anyone is able to help me much would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get it all figured out for now as I don't have the cash for all the relays or the spade connections. Also I was wondering if say I put it on my rear side door and used the switch on my driver door (4 switches in one) if it will still use the relays? Or does it just work as it does now? If anyone can help me I do appreciate the help. I have looked up the diagrams but they confuse me as it don't want to splice the wrong wires together and mess my truck up. Thanks again for any help

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anyone?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
You would basically just copy what you would do for the front doors, should be identical. Two relays per door, one for up, one for down.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I never done a window relay mod so I'm not sure on how I should wire them. I have found several wire diagrams just ain't sure which is the right way to do it as I don't want to burn the trucks wiring up or burn up relays as they tend to get expensive. I'm going to pull the motors and tracks to clean them really well. I read they are grounded through themselves, is that true? If so can I make a ground strap from motor to door to make sure it grounds good? I know lots of questions but I just want to make sure it's right as I don't want to burn the truck up.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I pulled off the driver back door panel to clean and grease the tracks the best I can. And this is the plug on it. Not sure what's 12v or what goes to the motor as it's all wrapped in tape and you can't but barely get a look in the door itself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 64

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's after I unplugged it off the door panel. It's lettered hopefully y'all can read it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 83

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's the plug itself

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 60

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The top two photos show an OEM harness connector for the LR power window.

The brown and dark blue leads deliver power from the switch to the window motor.

The other three leads are: power to operate that switch locally and remote control power (2) that allow the window to be operated from the LF switch set. The LF switch set is the driver's master switch set - it can control all the windows.

The lowest of the three images just shows the back side of an OEM local switch and the pins which connect it to the various wires.

The blue cap in the top image is just a retaining clip that holds the harness connector tight to the switch pins.

BTW - cleaning/lubricating the tracks is a good first step to regaining factory operating characteristics.

Also look closely at the rollers on the ends of the regulator arms. If these are broken - or excessively loose - they can jam up and slow down the action of the regulator as it tries to drive the sash up and down. These rollers are more often the problem as opposed to gummed up tracks and channel runs.

Last edited:

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had taken the pictures after I took the door panel off and when I looked in the door they where pretty nasty. Dried up crusty grease. I suppose gm used cheap grease. The rollers are in really good shape though. I want to do the power window mod in the suburban so I'm hoping one of you wiring gods can help me out if I show the colors of the wires and stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krytza9911