Power window just wont.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
So ive got at the motor. this is passenger side tested it with 12v. it works both ways. up and down.

The only visible issues with were a power wire to the motor was broke from the little boot that connects to the switch. and the switch was junk. so i fixed both issues.

Well with everthing visibly right. it will click if i move the switch one way. and do nothing the other.

from my understanding. the switch swaps the two wires to the motor. changing which acts as hot and which acts as ground. hot/ground for up. Ground/hot for down.

ive tested the wires going to the motor from the switch all the way to the motor. they work fine when i provide them power and ground. the power wire coming to the switch is showing power.

What am i missing here?:Insane:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The ground circuit on these systems is insane. Yes, it's true that the local switch reverses the polarity in the leads to the motor. The positive side is pretty straight forward; pink (hot) comes in to the switch and when the button is moved up or down the power is supplied to whichever side of the motor is needed.

At the same time that the hot side is switched, the ground leg is also switched. But the ground leg does not terminate locally. One of the two remote power leads from the master switch takes on the duty of the ground leg.

So the negative path to ground is: out of the motor windings, back through the switch, into the harness connector, out of the connector on one of the remote power leads (which one depends on whether the window is being raised or lowered), all the way back to the driver's master switch, through that switch, and finally out on the black ground lead to the common grounding bus block.

See if you can follow this diagram - the red arrows indicate the positive side and the blue is for negative side/ground path:

You must be registered for see images attach

This same issue is discussed in depth here - the same except it deals with the rear doors on a 4 door system:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10878

Last edited:

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
Woaah. so where exactly is that ground jumping at? in the pic in the top it shows it jumps

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No, those blue jumpers are just my way of indicating continuity across two halves of a harness connector. In real life, the connectors would be plugged together.

You probably have an issue within the driver's master switch.

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
ive replaced both, the driver side harness is okay. but the ground was indeed bad. so i ran a new one from the door to where the switch meets the harness. driver side is working fine again.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, but what about the passenger side local switch? Wasn't that the original issue?

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
Yes, It was the problem. Still kind of is. So i Followed the wiring and found that in the rubber boot between the driver door and body was that one of the control wires broke. also the original ground. Repaired both and got the passenger side working. but only from the driver side. I could roll it up or down. but the passenger switch could only roll it up?

Both are new switches. All wires i have checked and are now fixed and right. i need to get the little black connector end for the passenger switch cause mine broke. but i hooked it back up and the wires did all have contact. just the passenger side switch cant roll the window down?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53