Brights pop fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
No, you don't have it figured out, and NO they're not working right.. Go back, read, and study my first post and the post made by Ricko1966.. I'll say this one more time.. IF you have the headlights on any fuse at all, regardless if it blows or not, you have wired them wrong.. If the harness is an aftermarket item, it's MADE WRONG.. If you created the harness yourself or modified the original harness, it's done WRONG..

And speaking of done -- I'm done with this thread...
@Ricko1966 @RustyPile You guys are getting awfully worked up for a guy who already solved his problem. He's got a Painless harness, did Painless build all their harnesses wrong?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Ricko1966 @RustyPile You guys are getting awfully worked up for a guy who already solved his problem. He's got a Painless harness, did Painless build all their harnesses wrong?
If that's how they made it,then yes they are made wrong,read the article I posted,it's a safety issue. Manufacturers did it to save lives, headlights used to be fused in the 50's and they figured out it was dangerous. The way his is set up if he has any problem in the lighting circuit at 85mph he is driving in total darkness. Set up properly he'd still have lights. I have worked on European stuff that had 5 fuses for lights, 1 for tail and instruments, 1 for each high beam,1 for each low beam. That way a short in the instrument cluster or taillights doesn't leave you driving in darkness. A short in one head light,or marker light,doesn't leave you driving in darkness.Just for fun go out on a dark road tonight,when your going about 60 mph,turn off your lights,try to stop your car and get it off the road safely.

Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Why do I keep being dragged back into these senseless debates.. Rick pretty much covered the hazards of having the headlights controlled by a fuse..

You bet I get "worked up" when lives (particularly when it could be mine) are at stake. @bloodhound, I'm telling you this to your face.. The OP definitely has NOT solved his problem. The only thing he has done is figured out the cause of the blown fuse.. That fuse should not be there in the first place. HELL YES, if painless did indeed build their harness that way, they definitely did it wrong.. If a Painless representative should chime in on this thread, I'd say the same thing to HIS face.. People, it's a safety issue, not to be taken lightly.:banghead:

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I was just trying to get some help with a fuse

Attachments

• portrait-puzzled-unaware-attractive-bearded-man-shrugging-with-hands-spread-sideways-dont-know...jpg
    portrait-puzzled-unaware-attractive-bearded-man-shrugging-with-hands-spread-sideways-dont-know...jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 11

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I was just trying to get some help with a fuse
Listen Dieslie212, none of this argument is of your doing.. It's obvious you bought that harness in good faith.. Now you have statements from two individuals who just happen to be experts in their field. Both have stated fuses have no place in the headlight circuit.

This may not be the help you were wanting, but here's the help you NEED.. Get rid of that poorly designed harness and demand a refund from whomever you bought it from. Your truck is safer in your shop without that dangerous wiring than it would be taking you into oblivion with it installed.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My headlights are fused. No issues.

Last edited:

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Looking for understanding, but look at this

You must be registered for see images attach

Do modern cars then have multiple fuses for headlights?

I had an 05 mazda 3 hatchback once. Headlights blew out. Fix was new bulbs and new sockets.

Now I'm going to have dig into my shop manual for the truck and see what it says there.

Not discounting the safety points made already.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Factory wiring for Chevy truck like 1975-85 I've attached a pic,look at what the red wire does. Go look at a factory 73-86 Chevy pickup fuse box. No headlight fuse. I don't care how you wire it,it's your truck mine I'd want it wired like GM designed it which is as simple as just rerouting the 1 battery lead that is headlights only. Then the factory circuit breaker in the factory switch will do its job as intended. I put a link to a website that describes how the factory circuit is supposed to work,anyone who hasn't read it yet,probably should. It would clear up a lot of confusion. I just linked it again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-24_220137.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-24_220137.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Factory wiring for Chevy truck like 1975-85 I've attached a pic,look at what the red wire does. Go look at a factory 73-86 Chevy pickup fuse box. No headlight fuse. I don't care how you wire it,it's your truck mine I'd want it wired like GM designed it which is as simple as just rerouting the 1 battery lead that is headlights only. Then the factory circuit breaker in the factory switch will do its job as intended. I put a link to a website that describes how the factory circuit is supposed to work,anyone who hasn't read it yet,probably should. It would clear up a lot of confusion. I just linked it again.
Rick, you're wasting your time.. You can't see what's going on here???? Here, I'll help you.. Some people just like to argue.. And usually they're the ones that know the least about the subject being discussed..

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Sorry @Ricko1966 forgot you posted a link on the first page. Read up on that, makes total sense. Thank you

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Sorry @Ricko1966 forgot you posted a link on the first page. Read up on that, makes total sense. Thank you
I think a lot of newer stuff is relying on DRLs and independently fused high beams as backup. As long as there's a redundant circuit so no one's driving in total darkness. I'd even be tempted to put a 20 amp circuit breaker where Painless is using a 30 amp fuse. There's a reason for dropping the amperage. Look on line even some of the cheaper universal headlamp switches come breaker protected,so the lights pulse instead of die in a short circuit situation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod