power door locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
454, nv4500, 205, 4.56 rp
3+3 power door locks havent worked since ive owned the truck. finally got them working thanks to some old threads on here and wanted to say thankyou!

problem is only the fronts are working, and they work great!, the rear are jiggling and wiggling and really want to work but dont. what should be my next coarse of action? i dont want to tear my door panels apart if i dont have to.

maybe a lock actuators need a bath of WD40? or should i plan on replacing them..

if it helps the rear doors are much harder to lock manually than the front doors.

thanks guys

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
the rear are jiggling and wiggling and really want to work but dont. what should be my next coarse of action?

The problem might be:

The motors are shot and need to be replaced

The linkage is so stiff that the motors can't operate. If this is the case, and you continue to try to operate them, the motors will burn out (if they haven't already). The linkage will need to be freed up and thoroughly cleaned of rust.

Either way, you are probably going to have to pull the door panels.

If you want to try freeing the linkage up without opening the door, I would start off with copious amounts of PBlaster rather than WD-40. Keep the linkage pivot points soaked for a week or so while continuously stroking the locks manually. Only use the manual buttons for this - not the power actuators. But, it's okay to occasionally test them electrically.

If - after a few weeks of applying PBlaster and manually exercising the locks - they still won't work electrically, you can safely assume that the motors are burnt.

Last edited:

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
454, nv4500, 205, 4.56 rp
Thank you sir! Have a great weekend!