Piece of _____ Liars on Craigslist!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Funny thing, I'm on the other side of it and people are still full of sh!t.

My K20 has been up for sale for a bit now, and I have a FOR SALE sign in the windshield with it sitting in my driveway. Had a guy knock on my front door Sunday (the 14th) genuinely seemed interested, spent the better part of 1.5 hours showing it, started it, let him poke around, even let him use my creeper to go under it. I aired out the trucks full history, skeletons and all. Guy says "I have a flight to Mexico with the wife in an hour but I'll definitely be back for this beauty, this coming weekend."

So I took him at his word, yarded out all of the parts that will be going with the truck. Guy never showed, no call/text, nothing. So now My garage floor is stacked with parts that I do not want to put back on the shelves. Truck has a full tank of premium and its still sitting here. I was even prepared to knock 2k off my asking price since I felt he was a decent buyer for it. All people are just lying sacks of crap lately. If you think I'm high on my price, say so. if something turns you off of it, say so. Don't pull this lying to my face crap.

I've had a bunch of those "interested" in my 1982 GMC 3500 flatbed, into which I've put at least $7K. Rebuilt 1991 350 with TPI, 700R4, urethane cab mounts, billet aluminum distributor, King racing bearings, Eagle cast steel crank, new flat top pistons replacing the dish top originals, replaced the fuel injectors and pressure regulator, new dash pad and arm rests, new 2-way speakers in the dash (under the pad, not through it), new window lifts and fuzzy channels, vehicle speed sensor with mechanical feed-through from Jags That Run, rebuilt power steering pump, upgraded instrument panel, tilt steering column with 4 spoke GM wheel with GMC horn button, driveshaft rebuilt + length changed, and a bunch of other bits and bobs. Final drive ratio is 4:56. I figured it should be around 3:70 in overdrive.

My father and I were building it to haul machinery like metal lathes and milling machines that we fixed up to working condition. We were always having to borrow a friend's truck. Then dad got cancer. So I don't need the truck.

What I get from those "interested" people is "It's just an old 82 so it's not worth more than a thousand, no matter what.". In California it'd be ideal to build a hotted up truck because due to its age and emissions regs for heavy trucks circa 1982 it wasn't required to have any emissions controls.

Last edited:

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
OP, the condition of the truck in reality vs the CL ad, strongly reminds me of my 82 I bought of FB Market place a few months ago.

Online and in person, he acted like it was a pretty much Mint, when it was really just as you described, actually after removing the carpets and a few contractor bags of crap in the interior and old wiring from past owners stereos, Train Horns, Neons and other gadgets, the floor boards are shot and just about every panel needs replaced.

Sadly, I bought it, envisioning it as a driver and only needing to do a few things before bagging it and sending it to get painted.

It can certainly be driven as is, he was and I have. But now that I see it and have went over it much better, I want to do so many things to it.
With it getting cold, not having a garage and seeming to not have much time to work on it since I brought it home, I've gotten much less done than I wanted too by now....

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I've had a bunch of those "interested" in my 1982 GMC 3500 flatbed, into which I've put at least $7K. Rebuilt 1991 350 with TPI, 700R4, urethane cab mounts, billet aluminum distributor, King racing bearings, Eagle cast steel crank, new flat top pistons replacing the dish top originals, replaced the fuel injectors and pressure regulator, new dash pad and arm rests, new 2-way speakers in the dash (under the pad, not through it), new window lifts and fuzzy channels, vehicle speed sensor with mechanical feed-through from Jags That Run, rebuilt power steering pump, upgraded instrument panel, tilt steering column with 4 spoke GM wheel with GMC horn button, driveshaft rebuilt + length changed, and a bunch of other bits and bobs. Final drive ratio is 4:56. I figured it should be around 3:70 in overdrive.

My father and I were building it to haul machinery like metal lathes and milling machines that we fixed up to working condition. We were always having to borrow a friend's truck. Then dad got cancer. So I don't need the truck.

What I get from those "interested" people is "It's just an old 82 so it's not worth more than a thousand, no matter what.". In California it'd be ideal to build a hotted up truck because due to its age and emissions regs for heavy trucks circa 1982 it wasn't required to have any emissions controls.
But it still has to pass emissions, including visual. It can be hopped up, yes, it just needs to have all the emissions pieces that it had from the factory, including the vacuum hose routing, canister, etc.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@ChuckN
Yeah the plethora of old squares around here I think means 3 out of 4 or maybe 9 of 10 are NOT that clean old unmolested, nothing hidden, truck that the pics look like.
But compared to many other parts of the continent this area is still at the top for nice old vehicles imo. Although all the good ones and deals are in Oregon! Lol
You are definitely not wrong about the OR comment- lots of stuff down there I just didn't have the stomach to drive south (yet again) to see if it was worth it, lol.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
OP, the condition of the truck in reality vs the CL ad, strongly reminds me of my 82 I bought of FB Market place a few months ago.

Online and in person, he acted like it was a pretty much Mint, when it was really just as you described, actually after removing the carpets and a few contractor bags of crap in the interior and old wiring from past owners stereos, Train Horns, Neons and other gadgets, the floor boards are shot and just about every panel needs replaced.

Sadly, I bought it, envisioning it as a driver and only needing to do a few things before bagging it and sending it to get painted.

It can certainly be driven as is, he was and I have. But now that I see it and have went over it much better, I want to do so many things to it.
With it getting cold, not having a garage and seeming to not have much time to work on it since I brought it home, I've gotten much less done than I wanted too by now....
It's the way it goes. I hear ya on the getting cold thing too. I've been toughing it out in my garage in sub freezing temps, but at least I have a wind block even though I have three layers of clothes on and my fingers are so cold that I have to take breaks to come in and have a coffee.

I hear that a shot of tequila helps the shivers when it's time to loosen up and wrench. Not that I've ever done that. :emotions33:

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
It has gotten so bad here that I ask them stuff just to see what kinda lies they tell Me. I looked at one that I talked to owner's son about He said it had been sitting about a year.... I got there and tires were sunk in ground 4 " looked to have sat there 5 years so just for the hell of it I asked the owner how long it had been sitting??? ONE YEAR.,,, lol. I just smiled at him and left .

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 27