Pickup coil testing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
First the back story

Truck is only driven a few days a week.

Got my GMC last October. Bought a Davies coil, cap and rotor kit, Mallory ignition module, Summit wires and new AC plugs.

The old stuff looked to be original 1986 stuff.

2 months later the Mallory module blew. I figured it was a fluke. Bought a BWD and it blew two weeks later.

Did a lot of research. Checked and made sure all my grounds are attached firmly. Have 12Volts at the bat terminal on the cap, grounded off the motor.

I bought a new, not reman Cardone dizzy and put it in, fired right up.

Battery is new as well as the alternator.

It is running right now but I have anxiety about driving it. I now have an extra module just in case.

Now my question.

I tested the pick up in the old dizzy and the resistance was in spec 754Ohms.
I moved the wires all over and it didn't change. I applied vacuum to the advance and it did change about 10-20 ohms but I don't know if that constitutes a "bad" test. Of course if I spin the shaft the resistance goes crazy but always goes back to 754.

Do you think I have found my problem?
TIA

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, it could have just been a couple bad modules in a row, I've seen that before. Not real often, but it has happened.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
Thanks for the response bucket.

Yeah. I hope so. Do you think the 15-20 ohms the vacuum advance changed the reading constitutes a bad pick up? The books say it should stay steady but it doesn't say the slightest fluctuation is a bad pick up. I am not sure if that slight a fluctuation is a for sure bad pick up or not.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Honestly I've never tested one. I've replaced them all on a hunch (with just a known good dizzy) and got lucky I guess. The last one was physically damaged though, so it was obvious.

IROCmenace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350 VIN M
I gotcha. I never messed with one before either. Just replaced the hole dizzy. But on those the pick up had obviously broken down. Yellow dust. Not sure on this. Guess I will just cross my fingers.
I know if the alternator was surging it could kill the modules, but it was replaced before I got the truck. Still has the new sticker on it. But it was remanned.
The factory manual doesn't even say much about the pick up.

Either way a new dizzy is better than the 28/29 year old one.

I will keep up with this and post any findings/results as there is not a lot of definitive answers online that I could find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1