Pickup Coil interference / binding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolpup32

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey all, been working on my 76 k10.... recently patched rust in the firewall and cowl area, repainted engine etc. when i put it all back together it wouldnt start... no spark. i rebuilt the distributor, pickup coil, IGN module, coil, now she runs again.

When i installed the new pickup coil, i couldnt freely rotate the distributor, the pointy bits on the shaft were bumping on the pointy bits of the pickup.... so i took the pointy bit off the old pickup and re-installed... same deal, so i loosened the 3 bolts and tried to center it so it wouldnt interfere but i was unable to, so i just re-installed the distributor, works fine but of course it's making a terrible sound.

Anyone seen that? should i just let it wear-in or disassemble and file / grind ?

as always thanks!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must have mismatched parts. Got to love the quality control of cheap Chinese crap these days. I don't know that letting it wear in by destruction is a sound approach? I'm happy your not swapping camshafts. Lol

coolpup32

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
yea, i thought replacing with the old ring would help, but it's just not quite centered. there's a little slop if i loosen the bolts but i just cant align it so it doesnt 'bump' ... with a firm twist you can overcome the interference, so i dont think i big enough piece could break off and destroy the dist. but i guess anything is possible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10