New Member! Need some help. NO spark, Ignition coils are getting hot with ignition on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kinger_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello everybody! Need some help with my 84 K10. 350 sbc. So, starting from the beginning. My dad and I fixed the wires at the junction block and just wired them together using an inline fuse. Completely took out the junction block. This may be an issue i'm not sure but from what I've read it shouldn't be. So it ran for a good few days and was fine. I noticed my starter getting to be a bit hard to turn over so we replaced it. After replacing the starter, that fuse started blowing. So i found where the starter wire had been making connections with the heat shield on the starter and fixed those to where they wouldnt ground out. It was fine, drove maybe 100 yards and the truck died. I had no spark at all. So i replaced the ignition coil and it did not help. So i replaced the ignition module and i would get spark once and then nothing. It would fire over one time and then just keep turning over with no spark. We replaced the whole distributor and got it to fire up. Was a little out of time but still running fairly decent. I drove it down the road, came back and it died again. No spark again. Ive figured out that when i turn the ignition on without trying to turn it over, the coil gets extremely hot. So i swapped it out with another coil to see if that coil was just bad. Both coils did the same thing. IM AT A LOSS HERE. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ive figured out that when i turn the ignition on without trying to turn it over, the coil gets extremely hot. So i swapped it out with another coil to see if that coil was just bad. Both coils did the same thing. IM AT A LOSS HERE. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
If the coil is getting hot simply by turning on the ignition switch, disconnect the Tach connector at the cap and see what happens. Also, make sure that no wires are trapped under the edge of the distributor cap and that all wires inside the distributor are ok. Good luck!

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee.

Forum statistics

Threads