Parking Brake Cable through Firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YXPilot

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
250 L6
I’ve done a bunch of searching and I can’t find anything related, which makes me think nobody replaces it or I’m too dense to figure it out.

I need to replace the parking brake/emergency brake cable from the pedal back. I cannot see how the cable goes through the firewall, there is the grommet there but seem quite a bit smaller than the cable and the grommet is not very flexible being 30 years old. Is my only option to destroy the grommet to feed the flange end of the cable through the firewall or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I tried to put the grommet on the cable and fed it up from the bottom, lubed it up real good with dish soap. Pushed it up then went in the cab and used a dull hook tool and screwdriver to gently work it until it popped into its groove but never got it.

Ended up slipping the grommet on the cable inside the cab and pushing down on it with my fingers and the hook tool until it was in place. It’s not easy…

IIRC I removed the pedal assembly to get enough space for the job

ETA: I cleaned all of the crud off of the grommet with lacquer thinner before hand

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the grommet up to make it more pliable as well.

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I just did one on my 87 R20 and it was a bear. I cut the cable and pulled it though. Before I pulled it I tapped the new one to the old one and pulled it up to the hole. the grommet was old crusty , so I slit it with a razor blade and then fitted back in on the new cable using a small screw driver to seat it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005