Paint quantity and type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gettin ready to tear into the ole 86 (well, this winter) and thinking about paint.
Last pickup I painted RC/LB truck I didn't do jambs, behind cab, front of bed, inside bed, as it was a color match and not needed.
Used about 3/4 gal of PPG DBC which is 1.5 gal of product mixed 1:1. And about the same amount of PPG clear which is a 2:1 iirc.
Know I need more than a gallon kit with that paint (or more if different ratios). Deltron covers as good or better than most and as good as any expensive paint.
Gotta do 2 stage on the body as both colors are metallic, so no single stage on finished body parts, but no need for BC/CC on back of cab front of bed, inside bed, underside of bed, basically anything that wouldn't get wet sanded and polished.
Thinking a gallon of single stage for all the "hidden" stuff and gallon kit or BC/CC or equivalent with a lesser brand.
That sound right? Asking because a buddy just did a RC/LB pickup single stage Omni acrylic. (Don't ask me why he cheeped out on paint on a truck that is worth about $30k now, but...) He burned up 6 gallons of paint. 1 of white for center strip and 5 on the body, bed, underhood, cab etc. Omni is like 8:1 or something, but still seemed like ALOT of paint.
He may have painted 6 coats or something too as he’s generally if some is good more is better kinda guy.
What do yall think?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not painting underside of hood, fender wells, underside of cab and likely nothing in the cab although the underside of the roof could use a coat as it’s thin from factory and no headliner planned.

Paint suggestions welcome as well. I’m not a professional painter.
Have painted a few vehicles that I cared about with PPG Deltron / concept clear, Sherwin Williams 7000? and just used PPG Omni and in metallic red it covered extremely well and laid down very nice. Not like glass, but factory paint quality with no sanding or buffing.

Not looking to break the bank with Glasurit or High end BASF here and the truck won’t be parked cooking in the sun 300+ days a year for the next 10 years but not going to cheap out with $150/gal paint and clear.
What has worked well and held up to elements for you guys?
I recall the Sherwin Williams I used being mid priced and appearing to be very good quality. But I only had the truck for about 3 years after painting it.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Your 86 pickup was originally high solid enamel, not BC/CC.

BC/CC on full size trucks did not start until 1989.

K

OldFatBald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Paint quality and coverage vary quite a bit even between one brand's different lines. Over on one of the paint forums they will bash Omni BC quite a bit.

Myself, I like to use either Tamco's solvent based paints or PPG Envirobase ($$$$) then I use Tamco 2104 clear over either one. But I am just a weekend rookie paint hack, I haven't sprayed a full vehicle yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Your 86 pickup was originally high solid enamel, not BC/CC.

BC/CC on full size trucks did not start until 1989.

K

Thanks, I know it’s originally single stage. And I was considering doing single stage for ease but have seen some blotchy looking metallics if they needed any serious wet sanding. I’m not a pro, so even if it lays down great, I’m sure there will be oopsies to sand out and I’d prefer to make it look like glass if I’m spending this much time and money on paint. What’s another couple days of sanding and polishing? Lol

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Paint quality and coverage vary quite a bit even between one brand's different lines. Over on one of the paint forums they will bash Omni BC quite a bit.

Myself, I like to use either Tamco's solvent based paints or PPG Envirobase ($$$$) then I use Tamco 2104 clear over either one. But I am just a weekend rookie paint hack, I haven't sprayed a full vehicle yet.

^Lol, yeah that looks like some real hack work! That’s beautiful! Idk how you even do something like that hood.
Yeah I’ve heard and read the Omni bashing. Idk, not a pro so that’s why I’m asking. My only experience is buddy’s single stage Omni job which looks great. All 6 gallons of it!
And a flexible front spoiler I painted this winter. Looked great right out of the gun and has held up to 10,000 miles of road grime and debris so far quite well.
Tell me about envriobase. I can’t wrap my head around waterborne paint being better but that’s old opinions dying hard I’m sure. Does it lay down nicer in general? Any other concerns for a garage job? (Like I won’t have ideal temperatures when doing this. It will be raining and my heat will likely be a salamander heater (off while painting of course).)

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is Omni acrylic. Cheap but expensive being red and metallic.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never really considered Tamco as it seemed too “cheap” to be good.
Any long term reviews of how it holds up?

looks like they have many different products and their website is a good sales pitch.

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Yes, they didn’t start

Thanks, I know it’s originally single stage. And I was considering doing single stage for ease but have seen some blotchy looking metallics if they needed any serious wet sanding. I’m not a pro, so even if it lays down great, I’m sure there will be oopsies to sand out and I’d prefer to make it look like glass if I’m spending this much time and money on paint. What’s another couple days of sanding and polishing? Lol

When I redid my '87 I used BC/CC in the original color (code 72 Apple Red). I thought it might give it some depth and better durability than the single stage.

It's worked out as well or better than expected. It's been 12 years and it still looks fresh.

I never really even wash it. Just hose it off and wipe it down.

K

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

Yeah Eric, you need practice. Tell you what, I’ll let you practice on my truck. I’ll even do you a favor and supply you with paint to practice with...

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Keith Seymore, yes the other thought is longevity.
For our use this will be drive to school hi school rig (which the way things are going means it will be parked in the garage as our students only need to walk downstairs from their bedrooms to “school”....but let’s not get political lol).

Mostly thinking 2 stage for sanding and depth of finish.
I’ve never painted vehicles that I leave just “good enough.”
So I will be removing all the orange peel from the “visible” surfaces, down to the trim line.
Another reason for BC/CC is I have some leftover dark blue metallic Base coat from a different project that is about the same shade as the dark stripe currently. But a heavier, nicer looking metallic.

=free navy blue stripe vs another $150 or whatever for a quart of dark blue.

OldFatBald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Yeah Eric, you need practice. Tell you what, I’ll let you practice on my truck. I’ll even do you a favor and supply you with paint to practice with...

Bring it on, though painting is really more of the prep, body working the steel, shoot some high build, block sand, shoot some more high build, sand some more, then followed by more sanding....

Bring that Chevy over with the prep done and I'll shoot it!! No guarantees though!

OldFatBald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Never really considered Tamco as it seemed too “cheap” to be good.
Any long term reviews of how it holds up?

looks like they have many different products and their website is a good sales pitch.

Quite a few folks over on one of the paint forums have had excellent luck with Tamco's products. I use their 2104 HS (High Solids) clear on everything that I do, but I'm still fairly new and only have done smaller items. That trunk lid off of my 65 Caddy is pretty much the largest piece that I have done. I have a 61 cat eye hood that I need to body work, then shoot to match my 63 Suburban.

Going to use the PPG Envirobase (Waterborne) paint on that one. $200 for a quart!

OldFatBald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
^Lol, yeah that looks like some real hack work! That’s beautiful! Idk how you even do something like that hood.
Yeah I’ve heard and read the Omni bashing. Idk, not a pro so that’s why I’m asking. My only experience is buddy’s single stage Omni job which looks great. All 6 gallons of it!
And a flexible front spoiler I painted this winter. Looked great right out of the gun and has held up to 10,000 miles of road grime and debris so far quite well.
Tell me about envriobase. I can’t wrap my head around waterborne paint being better but that’s old opinions dying hard I’m sure. Does it lay down nicer in general? Any other concerns for a garage job? (Like I won’t have ideal temperatures when doing this. It will be raining and my heat will likely be a salamander heater (off while painting of course).)

6 gallons is ridiculous, the Envirobase is soooo nice to shoot. And the coverage is very good.

Where I shoot in my Pig Barn shop it works out awesome as the flash times are very quick as I am in Northern California and it can hit 100 degrees in the Pig Barn shop during the summer. Then I just shoot a regular HS clear over the top of the waterborne paints.

I have heard that waterborne paints can take longer to flash if it is too cold or humid.

If you can get the Omni Plus line, better yet would be the PPG Shopline.

If you are going to stay with solvent based paints, I'd get a hold of Tamco and see if they have the color that you want. They can match also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk