2 tone paint line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am getting close to throwing paint at my project as I am working the 400 grit sand currently on high build. I want to do blue with a white stripe and looking around it appears the 70's kind of followed the body line but the 80's seem to be higher. Is there a paint layout guide out there somewhere? I am thinking just roll the 70's style as it would be easy for me to follow that line.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I am getting close to throwing paint at my project as I am working the 400 grit sand currently on high build. I want to do blue with a white stripe and looking around it appears the 70's kind of followed the body line but the 80's seem to be higher. Is there a paint layout guide out there somewhere? I am thinking just roll the 70's style as it would be easy for me to follow that line.
On the 73-80 trucks, the two tone side panel lines follow the body lines on the top and front end. The lower line is indicated by the side trim. When the second generation front end came out for '81, the basic shape of the two tone panels is the same, but a tape stripe above the body line is the demarcation. The color and number of stripes vary by years on these; I've seen them with 3 or 5 stripes.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
For the 80's version the stripe itself forms the upper boundary.

In fact, in the assembly plant the stripe was applied first. It had a mask attached to it so that the secondary color was sprayed over the stripe and all over the ecoated side.

Then the shape was masked with paper and the primary color sprayed over the top of that.

Removing all the mask reveals the completed two tone.

I say all that to say - you'll need the stripe you are going to use in order to make it all work out right.

K

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For the 80's version the stripe itself forms the upper boundary.

In fact, in the assembly plant the stripe was applied first. It had a mask attached to it so that the secondary color was sprayed over the stripe and all over the ecoated side.

Then the shape was masked with paper and the primary color sprayed over the top of that.

Removing all the mask reveals the completed two tone.

I say all that to say - you'll need the stripe you are going to use in order to make it all work out right.

K

I haven't even considered the pin stripe setup. I was thinking white stripe from the body line to the middle of the front marker and back where the trim usually covers.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad