Opinions on exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi fellas. I've developed an exhaust leak lately, when i installed the engine the y pipe and the rest of the exhaust didn't match up, they were about a couple inches off. So i bought some of that heavy duty flex pipe (looks like drier pipe) and clamped and tack welded it on. No cats, and just factory manifolds, and a worn out old flowmaster turndown. Single in dual out.

In the next few days I'll be doing some exhaust changes. I'm thinking headers, true duals out to two flowmaster mufflers. Then over the axle, out the back through two stainless tips.

Questions.

1. What brand headers. And where to buy. Summit? Can I get a set of headers for around $200 bucks?

2. What size pipe. On my '01 in my sig, I have dual 2.5" pipe off of stainless headers. And on the black 86 I showed in my intro thread, I had dual 2.5" off of it too. With flowmaster turndowns. Would 2.5" be a good size for the duals on this truck as well? It's a strong freshly rebuilt 350 with about 4,000 miles on it.

3. I was looking at just a simple set of single in single out flowmasters....

4. Where is the best place to buy stainless tips? I'm wanting like a 2.5"-3" wide tip by like 10-12" long?

Any other tips would be great too. I won't be going with cats because we don't really have emissions here. Anything else I should worry about?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can do more research when I get home, just wanted to get the ball rolling and see if anyone had suggestions

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Why not try dynomax? On headers jcwhitney sells them too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
For the headers, I got mine (Dynomax) from O'Reilly's for fairly cheap. They are the black painted ones and now I wished I'd gotten the ceramic ones but those are much higher in price. For muffler I got two single in/single out Flowmaster 40 series mufflers to form true duals on the truck and didn't worry about catalytic converters. Being a 77 I don't have to pass any smog stuff in Mo. I believe the pipe is 2.5" or something like that. Then the tips are stainless steel from Magnaflow and just exit out the back. I just got the tips from the muffler shop that ran my exhaust. I drove the truck up to the shop with just the open headers. That thing was LOUD!!!! Sounded kinda like a race car, though :) My ears just about bled that day :D

If I was to do it again I'd probably to some kind of config where they exited out the side just to be different but that's how they sit for now. For a while I just had turn down right after the rear axle but extending the pipe out the back with the tips really cleaned up the sound a lot.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, awesome. I'm looking at summit and looks like meet of long tube ceramic headers are about 200, which is much better than the stainless ones on the '01, which ran about $1700 new.

I just called the muffler man, and to pipe from the headers to the mufflers to the tips will be $240. That's him supplying flanges and pipe, etc.

I'll be trailering this truck to the muffler shop, it's about 35 miles away. I also trailered my 01 to the shop because with the 02 sensors out I couldn't drive it with open headers.

I wonder if Oreillys stocks headers in the back. Have to check on that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I just called the muffler man, and to pipe from the headers to the mufflers to the tips will be $240. That's him supplying flanges and pipe, etc.

Not a bad price at all. Does that also include tips?

I'll be trailering this truck to the muffler shop, it's about 35 miles away. I also trailered my 01 to the shop because with the 02 sensors out I couldn't drive it with open headers.

35 miles isn't too far. Why not just drive it? Are ya worried about getting pulled over? I think I drove mine about 25 to get up to the muffler shop. I just took mainly back roads (or just less traveled) in order to avoid the police :D

I wonder if Oreillys stocks headers in the back. Have to check on that.

When I bought mine I just went up the counter and asked them and they pulled them from the back. So I know the stock some but not sure what they'd keep on hand on a regular basis :)

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
All I can say is stay away from Patriot Headers.

I had those on my S10. There wasnt enough clearance between the tubes and head bolts to get in there and tighten everything up properly. I am sure the new owner will MF me if he goes to take them off!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you've got the jack check out Thorley Tri-Y's. I've always wanted to try a set of them but price makes them unattainable. Performance-wise I heard the tubes all need to be of equal length to balance the pulses but I'm not sure how important that really is.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I have the summit brand (Dynomax) long tube ceramic headers that have 1.5" primaries

Wish I got Tri-Y's or something with a larger primary
But they are good headers

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah thats the thing, oriellys has a set of flow-tech headers in stock for 109.99 but I'm sure they are the tiny set.

I'd like something with bigger pipes and collectors. Lemme check out those thorleys

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have a set of the black painted Dynomax headers with 1 5/8" primaries on my truck.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep too expensive for right now. I could do the whole exhaust front to back and still have money left over for the price of those.

They are nice though

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I looked on Summit & Jegs and cant find them there. I may have bought them at a local parts store, it's been more than a dozen years. Hooker and Hedman are both comparable brands, around $150 a set.

Here's the Thorley Tri-Y's, prepare yourself for sticker shock...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...eader-Style/Tri-Y/Drivetrain/4WD/?Ns=Rank|Asc
You can find the painted versions cheaper elsewhere than Summit.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I had an 83 that I had a mild build at best, I tried running open headers for awhile but honestly the truck had NO power (no back pressure) BIG pipes and Primaryies are not always a Good thing.

Seems like 2.5" pipe is pretty standard, I my self dont like tips so on any of my trucks I run the 2.5" pipe past the axle then turn it towards the corners of the bumper then down you can see about 1" of the pipe. I think it has a better sound to it it seems like it bounces the sound off the ground instead of just shooting it straight back.
If your interested I can try to take a picture of how mine exit. Also I am not big on the loud exaust so i just run turbo mufflers, There quiet when I want to sneek but if I want to hear it I can with a nice tone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10