Opinions on cutting out catalytic converters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
If you live in a state that does smog testing you really don't have a choice. Sure you can get away with it until the day that you're testing comes but then you've got to put the cat back in that's if it's a good cat. Otherwise you're back to having a replace it with a new one which will cost you. If you hate the Earth and don't have smog then don't replace it. As a temp fix you could just slip a pipe in there and clamp it down. V8s don't require the back pressure as say a four cylinder does imo. Have you ever seen a dragster with cats? Hell noooo! Only peoples daily drivers driven to the track that are post 77ish+ in smog states. And even then people are cheating with electronic exhaust cutouts. I've lived in non smog and smog states. Currently I'm in Cali where it's out of control. They actually look to see if the cat has a special CA stamp embossed on it. Does it really have a higher content in it I don't know but it's BS to me. In my opinion if you can put a new cat on and you pass emissions then who gives a s*** if it has the embossed logo on it. eBay sells high flow cats for half the price compared to a new standard cat. That might be perfect for your situation.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'm not sure if I follow everything going on in this thread but can you rent a tailpipe expander from auto zone and slip in a straight pipe for now and clamp it on each end? Or have we moved onto the colors of AF?
Toyota uses red ; )
I have no clue what's going on, this thing derailed a long time ago, lol.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
The "swedging tool" I referred to previously IS a tailpipe expander, get one cheap from Hazard Fraught.
Or, carefully measure the ends of the two pipes that you need to join and take your straight pipe to a muffler shop and have them swedge each end so it'll fit. Tell 'em a piece of the tailpipe was damaged and you're replacing it. Technically, they can't help you with a cat delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k