NV4500 years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
I’m calling around for a Chevy NV4500, and one wrecker said the earlier ones from 93 or 94 to about 99 were non electric and from 99 on, about 07, they had electronics. I’d like to know, how electrified are those later models, and can they be converted to non electric? Thanks in advance

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's a manual transmission, only electronics would be the VSS (if 2wd), reverse light switch, and maybe a switch to tell the PCM what gear the vehicle is in.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a few of them. There is no electronics on them except for the reverse light switch. A few pointers for you since I have been down this path:
99% of the ones you find used will need rebuilt. $500 for the used trans is reasonable but expect another $500 to rebuild it if you do all the work. They have special carbon fiber syncro rings that require special oil. Most people would just dump regular gear oil in it and wonder why they couldn't get it in gear anymore. The correct fluid is expensive, like $20/quart. You can no longer buy the GM/Dodge fluid but Redline and a few others make proper substitutes.

The early trans (92-94) had a low first gear. Its what I got in my truck now. On the street 1st and second gear are essentially useless with 4:56 gears. I currently have my axle swapped to the original 4:10 gears. It's slightly better, at least I can take off in 2nd gear and not have to shift in 20 feet. The 92/94 also use a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 95 an up. The 95 and up also use a removable shift tower unlike the 92-94. This makes it easier to fit the big pig in the transmission tunnel without having to cut a big hole for the shift tower during install.

There is a rare in-between version that fits the early bellhousing but has the better gears and removable top plate (shift tower). It was a transition item in late 94. By dumb luck, I just happen to have one. That good fortune allows me to use my existing early Advance Adapters bellhousing. At $400 plus that definitely puts a smile on my face.

Knowing what I know, if I were in you're shoes, I'd just bite the bullet and buy a "new" rebuilt one from Advance Adapters and enjoy the warranty.

Last edited:

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
I have a few of them. There is no electronics on them except for the reverse light switch. A few pointers for you since I have been down this path:
99% of the ones you find used will need rebuilt. $500 for the used trans is reasonable but expect another $500 to rebuild it if you do all the work. They have special carbon fiber syncro rings that require special oil. Most people would just dump regular gear oil in it and wonder why they couldn't get it in gear anymore. The correct fluid is expensive, like $20/quart. You can no longer buy the GM/Dodge fluid but Redline and a few others make proper substitutes.

The early trans (92-94) had a low first gear. Its what I got in my truck now. On the street 1st and second gear are essentially useless with 4:56 gears. I currently have my axle swapped to the original 4:10 gears. It's slightly better, at least I can take off in 2nd gear and not have to shift in 20 feet. The 92/94 also use a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 95 an up. The 95 and up also use a removable shift tower unlike the 92-94. This makes it easier to fit the big pig in the transmission tunnel without having to cut a big hole for the shift tower during install.

There is a rare in-between version that fits the early bellhousing but has the better gears and removable top plate (shift tower). It was a transition item in late 94. By dumb luck, I just happen to have one. That good fortune allows me to use my existing early Advance Adapters bellhousing. At $400 plus that definitely puts a smile on my face.

Knowing what I know, if I were in you're shoes, I'd just bite the bullet and buy a "new" rebuilt one from Advance Adapters and enjoy the warranty.
Thank you both. I have a dodge diesel NV4500 with no wire. My ram has the vss on the T case. I don’t know if I can find an adaptive BH for putting it with my Chevy 350. Don’t want to mess with changing the tail shaft either, too bad because I had a good shop rebuild it with a bigger 1 3/8 input and fully splined main shaft etc. Which probably doesn’t for the 350 either. Never got around to installing it. But it will sell fast.
I appreciate the facts about the synthetic oil. I prefer the low tech approach to things. Since my four speed second gear is popping out, now is a good time to get into an overdrive, to go with my 4:10 gears. Right now I’m waiting for Gear Vendors to call me back, I’m curious to know if they have an OD unit that will bolt to my tranny if I get 2nd gear fixed. I just took a picture of the 4 speed to show to the transmission guy to find out if it’s rebuildable. I’d be curious to hear opinions on would it be wise to put a Gear Vendor OD on an old 4 speed?
I’ve been reading about ways of mating a NV to my NP205 T case, but I’m also considering tossing the T case and going two wheel drive. Gear Vendor units for 4x4 only fit on the rear axle output, ( seems like that would extend far out) and electrically prevents the front diff from engaging with the T case. Which sounds practical. Meanwhile, just collecting info.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size

Thanks again for all the great information. Just bought a 2005 NV4500 from a wrecker nearby for 1075 which has no guarantee but was supposedly tested, which I’ll have a tranny shop check out. If it needs some work that’s fine. Gear Vendors called back and said they do have a Overdrive unit that bolts to a NP205, $3200, which sounded good too. ( cough) Now I just need to talk to advanced Adspters, I read they have a bell housing that works with my mechanical clutch linkage and another one that works with a hydraulic conversion. Which I think was a conversion to hydraulic from 1979 mechanical as well as to external from 2005 internal.

nujac

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
About 15 years ago I install a NV4500 from an unknown year. I had the transmission rebuild, the NP205 rebuilt, used the engine bell housing from advance adaptors, and the NV4500 to NP205 round adaptor from Advance Adaptor, external hydo clutch linkage, Ebay, used clutch peddle assy. It was all simple to install but very heavy. Brand new Pace Truck 350 crate engine. (There is an OEM 3/4" steel rod that goes from the motor to the transfer case. Mixed opinions on if it needs to go back on. Some say if you do not use it in 4 wheel drive low one of the housings may crack under heavy load.) Was not completely happy with the outcome. Even with the new engine 5th gear is too high of a ratio. The ratio from 3rd to 4th seems too large. I went from an automatic to this manual setup. I am thinking the axles ratios need to be changed. However if I had a bigger motor the ratio and gas mileage may just be perfect. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time your old knees will start hurting when having to use the clutch a lot. After owning the truck for over 30 years if I would have had a crystal ball I should have gone with a 4L80E even though I have always preferred Manuals in a truck. I never changed the axle ratio, and never use 5th gear and learn to be happy just to have a nice shifting 4 speed transmission and about 4 mpg improved gas mileage. (this is all ready a long post but till you add in the cost of the proper axle gearing and all of the other cost I would hold off on going forward with the NV4500 till that is all fully understood. )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704