NV4500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lauvna

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Okay so I have an 89 1ton crew cab with a sm465 behind a stock 454 and a 4.56 rear end and its 4x4 with a stock 205 transfer case. I love the truck and i have been putting her back together for the last few months. But she just screams a little too much on the HI way. She will pull anything but only at 55mph. So, I want to put a NV4500 in her to get a little more speed for the HI way. I have an opportunity to get a 2001 Chevy 3500 crew cab that has a bad engine in it but the NV4500 that's in her only has about 1000 miles on it since it was rebuilt. So, the question is. Will this transmission fit in my 89. this is one of those 1ton square bodies that they didn't convert to the GMT 400 style body. Will the Bell housing in the 2001 bolt to my 454? Will my hydraulic clutch work on this bellhousing. I'm certain that I'll have to buy and adapter to mate my 205 transfer case to this NV4500, but what else will i need to buy. Trying to do this as cheaply as i can. Help please. Any advice is welcome, and any tips are useful. thank you all in advance.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I cant help with the 4x4 specific questions but I can the others

Yes it'll bolt to your engine, use your stock flywheel but you'll need to use a clutch disc an pressure plate for the 01. They switched to internal slave cylinders in 96 an it takes a different style pressure plate. Basically everything from the flywheel back will need to be spec for an 01.

For the hydraulic stuff, these trans (an the smaller nv3500) use the same slave as a LS1 spec T56 so you can get fittings for it to swap it to -3an an make a line to go to your factory master. I did this in my C10 but used a wilwood master and modified stock pedals.

If you need it the MT85 oil from redline is the closest match to the factory spec fluid that's readily/easily available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod