Not getting enough power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I am at the end of my carb swap from tbi... I eliminated all of the original harness minus the main battery cable down to the big(middle post) of the starter, the purple ignition wire to the small post nearest the block on the starter, red wire coming off the junction box on the firewall down to the big post on the starter and the pink wire from the coil that now supplies power to the HEI.

I left the factory ground wires alone coming off the battery minus the one that went to the smog pump bracket. I just grounded that straight to the frame. The block is grounded from the rear of the passenger head as is was when I pulled the motor. The small braided wire that is not insulated that goes from the head to the firewall. maybe because the head is painted its not getting a good ground:shrug::shrug:?? I did not supply power to the alternator because I am not ready for that unless I need it wired up to fire; it is a one wire so shouldnt bother anything? also out of the ecm plug on the firewall there appears to be a orange/tan??? wire with two black/white wires going into a fitting that looks like it should be a ground. any ideas what that is?

when I hook up the battery I did get one kind of click from the starter. not a full attempt to cranking. that one small click is all I could get, tried again and its silent. waited a few and it would do the click then stop again... I felt all the wires and none were getting hot and I didnt see/smell smoke so no short circuits, I hope. I tried to turn the lights on and nothing but the turn signals work? sure enough they blink and all. however there is not anything else, like the horn doesnt honk and again lights do not work. my dash is apart so if those lights are working I wouldnt know. the radio turns on but theres no sound.

so the cab is getting power somehow so my guess is the junction box is getting voltage but I do not have a volt meter nor a test light to verify. I checked the fuses under the dash, crank fuse is fine, ignition fuse is fine and I see no visible signs of one being blown... how do you check the inline fuses going down to the starter? looking at it just looks like a black piece of plastic is in a cylindrical form around the wire. no splits or ways to crack into it.

I though it could be the battery but I put it in the charger and it read 75% and like 14.5V went up to 80% and tried again. nothing same as above. put it back on the charger and now it read 100% and 15.7V whooa somethings not right re adjusted and the voltage dropped down to 13.4.

What am I missing????

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Connection or bad ground?

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Connection or bad ground?

I thought that and went back through everything just to be sure and everything seems to be good, minus that one set of cables coming out by the ECM plug.

Then I got to thinking, if there was a bad ground or connection there wouldnt be anything happening when turning the key. right? the circuit wouldnt be complete. So I am wondering if the battery is just too low to turn anything over. The blinkers shouldnt have that much pull for power but something like headlights/brights maybe more pull and definitely more when trying to crank everything over.

at least I am hoping it is the battery.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
If it wont go of jumpers and you got good conection. What does voltage do when you turn key have you looked into possible just a starter

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Or weak connection on the outside of the starter

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
If it wont go of jumpers and you got good conection. What does voltage do when you turn key have you looked into possible just a starter

The thought crossed my mind to just use jumper cables off my car parked in front of it but thought nah probably won't work. Maybe I'll try that when I get home. if all is copacetic the lights should come on, horn should work and for the life of me cannot remember if there's a chime when the keys in the ignition and the doors open or what have you.

Where would I check the voltage when the keys turned?

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Strike that I have an aftermarket volt gauge I can just hook into key on power and it should read the voltage the battery is putting out or drops for any reason.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Just checked the voltage on the battery out of the truck and it's reading 12.65 volts so maybe the amperage is too low. I'm going to attempt to jump and see what happens. See if the headlights will come on and crank.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
glad i could help

Latest posts